I hope this isn't a premonition. We don't need more bad stuff right now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So many of you know, my mother-in-law has severe dementia. She stayed with us last year for about 4 months, along with my father-in-law, after he lost his leg.

She has always been very pliable and easy to get along with, and doesn't give a lick of trouble with taking meds or anything. In the last year, she has started having some outburst always specifically related to her husband, but I have no doubt that is due to some pent-up issues from over 50 years of marriage and the way he has treated her. She has NEVER had problems our outbursts directed at anyone else. She is quite literally one of the sweetest, most loving and agreeable people I have ever met in my life.

Apparently, in the last 24 hours, she has started seeing angels all around her, says Jesus told her he is coming to get her (not right now, but soon), she refuses to take ANY medicines, I tried to get them to give her extra of her antipsychotics, but she won't take anything.

Now, the really interesting part of this... some of my wife's family seems to have a touch of the 'sight'. They call it "obeah" where she is from. Her mom seems to, and her middle sister as well . The sister has called us many times over the years saying she had a dream that someone died, and I will say much more often than not, within a day or so, we get wind of someone they know or are related to passing away. Young people, old people, sudden or expected, etc. I always took it with a grain of salt initially, but over 20 years of seeing these situations play out, it makes me nervous. She had a dream 2 nights ago someone died and then yesterday one of the oldest sister's best friends died suddenly in her 50s.

Now the MIL is seeing angels and talking about Jesus coming to take her out of the blue - she's never had these kinds of hallucinations before. And in the midst of all this COVID sheisse, if something happens to her, my wife won't be able to go back home to the Caribbean - most ports and airports there are closed.

So anyways, I just hope this isn't really going to happen, although we know it will eventually. She's been checked out mentally for years. Just... dang, it's some spooky stuff.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard instances where people are about to die and they say, "there they are, see them? The angels are coming to get me!" And they lie down with a smile and peacefully go into eternity. What a way to go! That is a lot better than complaining of the heat and then screaming in terror about the demons that are tugging at them.
There are mysteries we will never understand in this life but as the old song goes, "We'll Understand It Better By And By."

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could try whacking her, like on the back of the leg or something when she's not looking.
When she complains about the hurt, tell her here's some pain medicine.
I'm going thru the same with my mom. One of us will try to engage her in conversation.
The other will reach under the blanket and pinch her. she hollers and we say
"here's some pain pills". She takes them right down. She's only been on the anti medicine kick for a couple days though.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds like she was getting incoherent, unable to walk and hadn't been drinking since last night, was vomiting. So I told them to take her to the hospital. I'm thinking she may have a UTI, she had that once when she was here with us last fall and it did make her behaviors quite a bit more erratic than usual.

So they've taken her to the hospital, but things there are... well... quite a bit different than here. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can help her.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope your MIL isn't near to meeting Jesus considering the circumstances of the globe and for your wife. Only your MIL and Jesus know if she is really seeing him. I can say, try and be comforted that it is Jesus and not something else.

I watched my dearest friend in the world die last year January. He was a mentor and friend who passed away at 80 years old. I stood in the ER room with him for his last 4 hours or so with his wife. All his kids were in other states. He was in terrible pain from cancer till they finally gave him meds. I watched him suffer and struggle. At the end he looked at me and said he saw Jesus in the corner of the room and was ready to go. Then he was peaceful and that was it shortly after that he was with the LORD. I have no reason to believe he didn't see what he said. Many people talk of seeing angles and Jesus. I have personal experiences where people would say I was nuts. Either way I know what I experienced and believe people have these experiences frequently. In the end all I can say is I hope your MIL and your family finds peace through whatever happens.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my mom was within minutes of dying, one of the nurses opened the window a couple of inches. She said it was an avenue for the soul to leave the room. A tradition of theirs to help the family.
For the OP, I hope it is just a UTI. Those things as you well know can certainly cause major issues both health wise and mentally. MIL just went through one.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked for years in nursing homes. I have seen people "See Angels" shortly before they go several times. As sad as it is for you and your family, it is usually a sign they are soon to be at peace and an end to any pain they are in. Hopefully she just has a UTI and needs to take her meds but if she is seeing them, it means she is meant to go upstairs.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother in law claimed he saw angels and his mother just a few hours before he died last Wednesday night/Thursday morning. What's even stranger, he called out "Kevin" more than once. Kevin was his older brother. He was born about a year before him, but he only lived for about 2 or 3 weeks. Ed had never met him, but suddenly he was seeing him.

I dunno. Crazy things happen when you're near death's door, I reckon. :anyone:

Prayers for you and your family, Danny.

Latest posts

Top Bottom