I need a new oil change spot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I change my own. Been doing it since I was 16. As a matter of fact, as soon as I get out of discount tire I am going home to change the oil in my truck. I don’t trust those places to do it. I know they have screwed up multiple times for people.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that is why I change my own oil.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 67

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mobil1 is a lot cheaper if you buy it in the bigger jugs. IIRC, the last time I looked, three 1qt bottles cost about as much as the "5qt gallon" jug; I want to say the single quarts were ~$8ea, and the big jug was ~$25--and the "box of oil" wasn't a whole lot more than the jug. I'd bet that the unit costs are significantly lower when you're buying it by the 55gal drum, and lower still when you're buying it in the quantities an oil change place is. So it wouldn't shock me if they could, in fact, charge you less for an oil change than you could do it yourself.
They don’t charge less trust me. My work truck is a Chevy 1500 with a V8 and it costs about $80 at a lube shop here in town. It is synthetic. I called one time to see how much a place would charge me for Mobil 1 synthetic and they said it will cost over $80. I buy one jug and then a couple quarts to finish my truck off. And I use a K&N Select filter. Those cost about $10 at Wally World. I just changed it in my truck on Saturday and it cost I believe $22 for the jug. It was on sale. So about $55 is what it costs me. Cost much less on my wife and sons cars. They don’t hold near as much as my truck does.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Public service announcement. If you are changing your own oil on a vehicle with a sideways drain plug for the first time...take a second to double check your anticipated trajectory arc of used oil especially if said used oil is 5W30. A Southern engineering splash/deflection apparatus isn't a bad idea should you have a kinship with Brother Murphy. Just saying...

I don't know why engineers can't put a minute of thought into drain plug and filter location. Sometimes it seems like they intentionally try to find ways to make it messy. Most of the old Chevy 350 would drain the filter and plug into a 12" pan at the same time with no mess. The filter on Ford trucks in the same era drained on the A arms. Super handy design.

Latest posts

Top Bottom