I need a new tv and I'm cheap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a $40 dollar Roku stick you can put in your HDMI port and watch anything you want as long as you have wifi and it doesn't have to be mega bit streaming either.
I finally cut the cord with the cable company last year and run the little $30 Roku from Wal-Mart (after trying the google stick first - terrible by the way). My TV had Netflix, prime, etc. built in, but ran those apps very slow. The little Roku HD box for $30 runs all of the streaming apps great, and the Roku channel has some very good free streaming shows and movies. There's a ton of free streaming apps if you don't want to pay for Netflix, etc. Roku is definitely the way to go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally cut the cord with the cable company last year and run the little $30 Roku from Wal-Mart (after trying the google stick first - terrible by the way). My TV had Netflix, prime, etc. built in, but ran those apps very slow. The little Roku HD box for $30 runs all of the streaming apps great, and the Roku channel has some very good free streaming shows and movies. There's a ton of free streaming apps if you don't want to pay for Netflix, etc. Roku is definitely the way to go.
We have a Roku TV in the living area of the RV that I have loaded with tons of apps and streaming channels. The stick in the dumb tv in the bedroom shows just as many channels.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I have a subscription to Consumer Reports and the cheapest 43" smart tv that they tested and recommend is this:

1655879100799.png

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My antenna won't pick up the 13 (PBS) channels. It used to but something changed.
I didn't want an outdoor antenna for TV because it looked too much like those lightning rods I saw on a documentary about Benjamin Franklin.
To watch OTA an amplified TV antenna that hangs on the wall above my TV really helped.
WM used to carry them - but in these unprecedented times ????

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive smart t.v. to stream movies and shows. A 40"-50" would be plenty big enough for me. I've just started looking online.

There seems to be a lot of choices available these days. Staying under $200 would be great and definitely under $300 max. I'm cheap but I like to get the best deal for the money.

I'm not up to date on all the new lingo and features. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to get or what to look for in a t.v. these days?

Thanks!
Not for $300, about $400 for a good unit with a warranty LG or Samsung, good luck

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive smart t.v. to stream movies and shows. A 40"-50" would be plenty big enough for me. I've just started looking online.

There seems to be a lot of choices available these days. Staying under $200 would be great and definitely under $300 max. I'm cheap but I like to get the best deal for the money.

I'm not up to date on all the new lingo and features. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to get or what to look for in a t.v. these days?

Thanks!
My parents cheaped out on two smart TVs and both broke within a couple years. One was a TCL and the other was a Hisense. I suggest paying more and getting something better that will last. I have a 2013 Samsung LED 3D tv 60” I bought new when it came out. That tv has a better picture than many TVs today. I also have a 65” Samsung 4K tv. The picture is incredible on it as well. And I guarantee both of my TVs will last for years and years to come. Yes they cost more but they are worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom