I need a shed built

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You prob have to call Edmond. I bet the setback rules are diff for a perm foundation vs non perm. With what you want to do, you want a more perm foundation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know y’all don’t really care but Up here in Guymon if the shed is on skids it’s not considered a permanent structure so you don’t even have to get permits to build or set one.

Osage County considers a building on skids permanent and subject to property taxes. We don’t need permits.
Decision made by each individual county it appears.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Property line clearance depends on utility location. Sewer gas in rear, 10' each side of line. Typically 5' each side for access to rear. Several new subdivisions are placing water, sewer and gas in front, so back line falls to 5'.
Make sure you raise it up out of the dirt. Way to many "sheds" end up level with surrounding ground height and water finds its way under the plate.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Property line clearance depends on utility location. Sewer gas in rear, 10' each side of line. Typically 5' each side for access to rear. Several new subdivisions are placing water, sewer and gas in front, so back line falls to 5'.
Make sure you raise it up out of the dirt. Way to many "sheds" end up level with surrounding ground height and water finds its way under the plate.
Yes,everything out front.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy here in Piedmont that will build a weld up frame shed to your specs. I’ve seen him build everything from pool toy sheds up to 100’ length barns. He can weld everything in place and even frame in the doors and windows, leaving the siding to you to complete, or he can do it all turn key. He also has a guy that can do spray foam insulation.

Just PM me if you want his information. I have used him myself so will vouch for the quality of work.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people I’ve dealt with don’t care about what’s legal they just want what they want. I would research everything from all the utility locations, permitting requirements and call for utilities to be marked and call the city to confirm. They’re usually pretty happy to tell you what not to do.

Depending on the value of your home, I would consider designing the shed to compliment your home as much as cost allows. Match the roof pitch, shingles, eaves, siding. You’ll gain a lot in value for minimal additional lumber for the storage space.

I would do shallow piers. A small pad under an 8” sonotube. A couple of sticks of rebar. Carefully measure and mark the shed perimeter. After identifying and planning for all potential legalities, utilities officially marked etc, break soil. 6 mil plastic over the soil for moisture control.

Building perfectly square and level piers isn’t super easy. Careful construction works fine but everything won’t hit spot on. For a small building you can build the floor structure and brace and shim it level temporarily, attach the beam brackets to the skids with a couple of screws, and leave them dangling in the pier tubes. Mix and shovel concrete. Check it all again and when it sets up, you’re ready to build. Cut and mark all of the plates, studs and rafters at once. Anything that is symmetrical, mark and cut at the same time. I think skids should be notched for the floor joists for strength.

A man door and lighting make a big difference. A harbor freight solar panel and cheap battery with led lighting or running power from your main panel. If everything is prepped for the electrician you can cut a ton of cost. I don’t think anyone cares who digs a ditch or buys and lays out materials. If you’re running permitted AC at all, might as well run 240v with a panel. You can plug in a welder, hot tub, sauna, Rv, whatever later and the cost isn’t much different.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This
We had to deal with this as we have a long back yard area that is filled with utilities. We also had a 15 foot easement we could not encroach. We ended up having two lean to sheds built attached to the house under the eaves. I really like these as they are out of the way and I no longer have to mow or plant flowers or ground cover. We maintained the 15 ft easement and still have all our lawn equipment except the mower in the sheds. We have a plastic 8 X 6 I can knock down in an hour for the riding mower.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom