I need a surveyor. And a pond digger for my new backyard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ready for bids!!
if you know anyone or have leads post here or PM me.
pond will be about an acre(I'm guessing) and about 12'-15' deep.
i'll need the dirt moved about 100 yards and levelled/compacted for a foundation.

i've talked to @Cowcatcher about renting a track hoe from a heavy equipment rental and I drove a frontend loader/skidsteer/dumptruck for about 6+ years so I think I could do it myself,
just looking to see if it is an option to hire it out or end up doing it myself.

also, if you have any thoughts about this process, digging ponds or building a barn, or building in a 1%BFE

OR ANYTHING ELSE you want to chat about, post it up.

I'll be looking for a barndominium builder in the future also.

location is East of Coweta

0EEBC067-5E69-44DF-A06A-9F89BA1E08E9.jpeg
92C65352-C4E1-4BE8-89F9-550A7A624DF1.jpeg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I won't be taking bids until after Nov 4.
if you know anyone or have leads post here or PM me.
pond will be about an acre(I'm guessing) and about 12'-15' deep.
i'll need the dirt moved about 100 yards and levelled/compacted for a foundation.

i've talked to @Cowcatcher about renting a track hoe from a heavy equipment rental and I drove a frontend loader/skidsteer/dumptruck for about 6+ years so I think I could do it myself,
just looking to see if it is an option to hire it out or end up doing it myself.

also, if you have any thoughts about this process, digging ponds or building a barn, or building in a 1%BFE

OR ANYTHING ELSE you want to chat about, post it up.

I'll be looking for a barndominium builder in the future also.
Check with the NRCS about installing a pond. They may offer cost assistance depending on the purpose of the pond.
If it's for cattle, they have some suggestions to put a pipe through the dam for a watering station below the dam to keep the cows off the pond.
If it's for duck migration habitat, that's a different cost sharing agency but they have their requirements to lower the pond level during the fall to plant millet, etc for ducks and allow the water to rise in the winter to provide forage for ducks.
Buddy went this route. After the first summer he asked if he needed to be inspected to approve the project. He was told nobody ever will return to check on it. They can't without permission.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much what everybody has already said. Contact an engineer or some sort of pond consultant to make sure you have the right soil composition/location/planning etc. I just wanna suggest as well, if you can swing the cost, I would put down gravel/rock on the bottom of the pond when you build it. Ran across a guy who did that, stocked it for fishing. You could see everything, beautiful clean water. You could forget you were in Oklahoma out there fishing.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with the NRCS about installing a pond. They may offer cost assistance depending on the purpose of the pond.
If it's for cattle, they have some suggestions to put a pipe through the dam for a watering station below the dam to keep the cows off the pond.
If it's for duck migration habitat, that's a different cost sharing agency but they have their requirements to lower the pond level during the fall to plant millet, etc for ducks and allow the water to rise in the winter to provide forage for ducks.
Buddy went this route. After the first summer he asked if he needed to be inspected to approve the project. He was told nobody ever will return to check on it. They can't without permission.
This here, the state was handed a good sum of $$ and there are a few programs to help land owners and farmers USDA office and what Dennis mentioned. A buddy of mine told about it and took advantage of it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The US Fish & Wildlife Service has a Partners for Fish And Wildlife program that’s active in promoting the creation of wildlife habitat, including ponds, on private land. They’re good with building ponds and will help with the costs if applicable; might look into this as well.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not so much that I need a pond, it's that I need the dirt for a foundation. Foundation needs to be raised about 5'-6'
also, being in the 1% BFE i can't bring dirt in or out.
Where are you located, I have a goood size pile of dirt , I would lkike to get rid of in the Pretty Water area north of Spaulpa? No rocks, black clay mostly.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a foundation, I would recommend shale. Then have a vibratory sheep foot to roll and pack it. Do it is lifts (layers) of 6-9 inches. Pack each lift with the sheep foot.
My shop is on a slope and I had about 6' of shale brought in and packed down. I later went to install the sewer and water lines and had to rent a trencher to cut the trenches. The foundation is rock hard, you have to use a pick to dig. Get lots of quotes, I had estimates from 10k to 50k. It cost me 12k for a 80x80 pad for a 70x75 steel building.

Latest posts

Top Bottom