I need another 264 Magnum Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who or where could i find to di that.?
You can buy any Remington long action with a magnum bolt face and have Hart barrels, Rebarreling Services | Rebarrel a Rifle | Hart Rifle Barrels spin you one up in .264wm. Or, you can have Steve Baldwin, Custom Gun Plumbers who’s local do it. Jon Beanland in Gould OK is another one that could do it.

If you took it to Steve or Jon you would probably need to order your barrel (they can order it also) in .264 with the proper profile to fit your stock and they would cut it to your desired length, thread, chamber, and crown it. Naturally these two options add additional cost to the final product. Around $350 for a barrel and another $350 for gun smithing. This doesn’t include the cost of the rifle you would be using the action/stock from.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my grandpa's best friend bought a new Winchester model 70 Westerner in .264. Back in 1957/58 winter.
He was making his own projectiles
6.5 mm copper ground rod and a tool & die lathe. He could vaporize a coyote into a huge puff of fur at 600+ yds across a wheat field.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a Rem 700 ALD in 264. Man that thing was a Texas Plains Honky Tonker. Rolled many a coyote and a few deer with it. A couple at astonishing distances for offhand hunting and most of the yotes running and shooting out of a pickup truck on a ranch. I heard all the old wives tales about throats being shot out 600rds. I probably had double that and no problems whatsoever yet.
Wish I still had a gun around that size as every thing I currently have in centerfire is .30 and above. Hope to find a good older 25-06 really though.

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JCann: can you or do you know a gunsmith that can do a good job doing this for me? Thanks!
Any of the smiths listed here: Custom Gun Plumbers will do a good job.

Me personally, I would probably lean more towards Jon Beanland or Crescent Customs because I’ve dealt with them in the past.

Basically you can source all your own parts (stock, action, recoil lug?, trigger, bottom metal, barrel, muzzle break, etc.) or your smith can gather it all for you. If this is the direction you want to go, check with many of those listed to get pricing and build time. Also let them know what you’re wanting to build. Many of these guys are busy and have small to no staff so, they may take a while to answer their phones or emails.

If you already have an action, say a Remington, they will want to square it up, cut new threads, and add a different recoil lug. You can purchase an aftermarket action with or without an integral recoil lug that shouldn’t need any work on it. A quality barrel will run about $350, times 2 to chamber and thread it not to mention a metal finish. Personally I would have the barrel throated for a specific bullet if I could. Name your poison as far as stocks go and don’t forget the action bedding cost. As far as bottom metal, choose you preference. You can run a box mag or a detachable box mag.

Building a custom bolt rifle isn’t cheap. You’ll still probably have to reload for it because there isn’t much to be had for quality off the shelf 264 win mag ammo. But, after you have one and work up a load for it, it will amaze you how well they shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom