I need help learning my welding machines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a small MIG and a good TIG (no gas for either one yet)

I thought I could weld up some small holes in this old tricycle seat with the MIG but my inabilities overcame my skills.

1647468166640.png

Would someone be willing to teach me a few things about welding on my machine at my house in NW OKC for a few hours?

Lincoln MIG SP 135T
MIG lincoln SP135T.jpg

AHP TIG
TIG ASP welder.jpg

I need to get a gas bottle for the TIG. I'm still weighing the options.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone that is pretty good with a tig welder should be able weld your seat up. I don't know if that person can get you that skilled in just a few hours. I'm not belittling you or a trainer it is just not much time. I tig and mig steel but, I want to learn to tig aluminum which is a whole different beast. Good luck.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone that is pretty good with a tig welder should be able weld your seat up. I don't know if that person can get you that skilled in just a few hours. I'm not belittling you or a trainer it is just not much time. I tig and mig steel but, I want to learn to tig aluminum which is a whole different beast. Good luck.
I have a bunch of scrap steel and aluminum. I just need a bottle and some instruction.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That seat is too thin for a mig.
I have tried to weld exhaust tubing that got rusted thin holes and it only made larger holes.

I ended up getting the gas out and the brass rod.

No idea on the tig. never used one.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A real human welder could weld that up in a number of welding methods, you'll need to clamp a good copper backing behind it. Tig is the most artistic / pretty of the welding methods. 89 I was welding/fitting sanitary pipe, thin wall SS pipe purged with 25% argon mix, no filler rod. The pipe had to be flap wheeled so no welds were seen, if your bead sunk you had more flap wheel time 30 minutes from Daytona , town called Deland good times. Aluminum is a different animal especially old used aluminum If the mig is set right you should be able to throw a bunch of spot tacks down and fill it.

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That seat is too thin for a mig.
I have tried to weld exhaust tubing that got rusted thin holes and it only made larger holes.

I ended up getting the gas out and the brass rod.

No idea on the tig. never used one.
BINGO, But there is likely a handful of folks out there that's could do it. I took a tig test where you sealed the bladder in pressure gauges. Really thin wall, like chewing gum wrapper .I had tig time but nothing like that. I had to set the machine, 1st time I think I vaporized that bladder 2nd-3rd time where failures too. If he's able to back the hole with some copper plate maybe, but if ya don't fancy yourself a welder ? .Brazing would be your best bet. Whats the underside of the seat look like ? If you could fit / contour a pc of 26 g sheet metal underneath then tack that in you could epoxy or something on top. Your going to be sanding or grinding no doubt. If ya need and can't find a piece of 26g I could mail ya a pc.

Last edited:

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bunch of scrap steel and aluminum. I just need a bottle and some instruction.
Perhaps one of those Adult Education classes at one of the local vo-tech schools might be good. I don't think you're asking for enough classes program to become a certified and professional welder. Just enough to get you going. I know that Francis Tuttle vo-tech on Rockwell between NW 122 & Memorial has welding classes. Perhaps you might check with them, or Mid-Del vo-tech or Metro Tech Vo-tech. The Vo-Tech in El Reno (probably farther than you want to drive, but not too bad a drive) offers welding classes, Welding Self Paced and also Farm, Ranch, and Home Welding. I think the Farm Ranch and Home Welding sounds very interesting.

Are you still working, or retired with time to do things?

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get some .100 to .125 thk steel. To practice with. I assume you are using flux core with your mig. I am just a hobbyist welder however I could help you out. My profile says sand spring but I moved to Edmund so I am not too far away.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older lincoln 100 I use with flux core .035 wire. I would have the arc volts on "A" and the wire speed on about 1 1/2 for a start. A copper backing would help a lot on keeping the weld from running out the hole. You just have to start on a good egde and just but beads and stop and go to keep from getting too hot. May have to do that several times to get all the pin holes out. rusty thin metal goes up in a flash. I have a different tip on my wire lead than yours. I never had the gas accessory for mine.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps one of those Adult Education classes at one of the local vo-tech schools might be good. I don't think you're asking for enough classes program to become a certified and professional welder. Just enough to get you going. I know that Francis Tuttle vo-tech on Rockwell between NW 122 & Memorial has welding classes. Perhaps you might check with them, or Mid-Del vo-tech or Metro Tech Vo-tech. The Vo-Tech in El Reno (probably farther than you want to drive, but not too bad a drive) offers welding classes, Welding Self Paced and also Farm, Ranch, and Home Welding. I think the Farm Ranch and Home Welding sounds very interesting.

Are you still working, or retired with time to do things?
Retired and too tired.

Latest posts

Top Bottom