I need to clean an oily coolant system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have the issue fixed that got oil in the coolant. Now I need to clean the system. Have any of you used Simple Green,Dawn etc?
Thanks,D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to use a little tri-sodium phosphate (TSP). This is what was once in laundry detergent back in the day when it actually worked. I was actually able to pick some up at Home Depot awhile back. The real stuff, not that substitute crap. Rinse/Flush the pi$$ out of it afterward, it won't hurt seals or gaskets unless you go nuts and use it too stong or leave it in too long. One thermostat cycle ought to do it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think about TSP. Probably have some around from my paint contracting days. Not a bad idea.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly what your after but I screwed up years ago and put clothes with diesel on them into the clothes washer. It made plastic smell like diesel. I literally tried everything and ran probably 15 loads of different chemicals in it trying to get that petroleum smell out and get that tub clean. Simple green was the one that got rid of it. If I was in your position I would probably try simple green and water and flush it a couple times.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darren, Simple Green is what Caleb originally suggested using to flush out the cooling system. I believe that's what they typically use at his dealership.
Thanks Lucas, I discovered that what looks like a chocolate shake in the reservoir is oil and peanut butter color is transmission fluid. I’ve got peanut butter. I’m still glad I changed out the oil cooler though because it seems like a common issue. Looks like I’ll be doing a radiator on Monday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom