I reminded myself today why I quit being an automotive mechanic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, Snattlerake, I read the whole thing from top to bottom. Didn't understand parts of it, but I didn't care.

After getting a 1980 Chevy pickup with 350 engine (piece of crap engine) with electronic ignition, I've always told folks that there are no shade trees anymore, so I can't work on them. (I'm also from the Panhandle, so trees are pretty rare up there anyway.)

Anyway, reading your post was just a reminder of why I don't mind "supporting" someone else's business by letting them do the job.

Less blood shed on my part as well.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
After getting a 1980 Chevy pickup with 350 engine (piece of crap engine) with electronic ignition, I've always told folks that there are no shade trees anymore, so I can't work on them.

Interesting...

I had a 1980 Chevy pickup with a 350 engine that was one of the most dependable, trouble free, low maintenance vehicles I have ever owned.

I have never heard anyone describe the Chevy 350 as a piece of crap.

As far as the electronic ignition goes...I used to put a HEI distributor in all of my older Chevys.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting...

I had a 1980 Chevy pickup with a 350 engine that was one of the most dependable, trouble free, low maintenance vehicles I have ever owned.

I have never heard anyone describe the Chevy 350 as a piece of crap.

As far as the electronic ignition goes...I used to put a HEI distributor in all of my older Chevys.

Well, you've heard someone now. At 17,000 miles (yes, just 5000 miles past the warranty period at the time) the lobes on the camshaft started going flat. Dealer wouldn't cover either a new camshaft nor discount the labor. Then, even after regular maintenance with 3000 mile oil changes, the dang thing had to be overhauled at around 60,000 miles.

I began to stay away from GM products after that, and then after GM and Chrysler Group took taxpayer money without paying it all back, I decided I wanted nothing from either of those brands. And, over the many years that I've been driving, I've had far, far less problems with the Fords then with the other two.

As for foreign, I've had a couple in my life, but no more. We get out and around to small towns and such where there are only dealerships for the "Big Three." I learned that one back in the '70's when a guy came through town needing some work done on his VW and no one would even touch it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had both Chevy and Ford pickups and cars. There is no difference that I can tell. You are obviously biased and entitled to your opinion. I usually weigh all options and buy accordingly. Best car I ever had was a 70's era Datsun 280Z. I beat a Corvette and I still had a gear left to go. Worst car I ever had was a bright yellow and black 80's Fiat X-19. When it ran it would run like a go cart with a V8. When it ran. It was a two day job to replace the water pump.

Dad bought a brand new Chevy LUV when they came out. He took it back when he saw the Mistsubshi VIN. He said why would I buy from a company that made war machines that tried to kill me? They gave him his money back.

Growing up on a farm you had to be a mechanic. You always carried more than the proverbial baling wire and pliers in the tool box. I had a hammer too.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had both Chevy and Ford pickups and cars. There is no difference that I can tell. You are obviously biased and entitled to your opinion. I usually weigh all options and buy accordingly. Best car I ever had was a 70's era Datsun 280Z. I beat a Corvette and I still had a gear left to go. Worst car I ever had was a bright yellow and black 80's Fiat X-19. When it ran it would run like a go cart with a V8. When it ran. It was a two day job to replace the water pump.

Dad bought a brand new Chevy LUV when they came out. He took it back when he saw the Mistsubshi VIN. He said why would I buy from a company that made war machines that tried to kill me? They gave him his money back.

Growing up on a farm you had to be a mechanic. You always carried more than the proverbial baling wire and pliers in the tool box. I had a hammer too.
I whipped a vette in a 10,000 lb ford diesel.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just glad you enjoyed it. It took me about an hour just to write it. Sorry it was so long but I just had to put in humor when there wasn't any.
I am my own mechanic out of necessity and by choice. I have 2 old vehicles that I tinker with and I do 99% of the work on them. Sometimes I have to call in the professionals to get me over a hump like I did with my Mustang this weekend when I had the pleasure of meeting Swamprat and having him help me figure out my carburetor issues.

That's a long way of saying, I feel your pain. And I hate working in newer vehicles, which is why I'm taking my Jeep to the shop this week to get my ac fixed. Waaaaay too far over my head on that. [emoji38]

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not biased. We've owned several different brands and models. At least three of the GM products had engines that didn't last much over 100,000 at the best. And yes, it is my opinion as to the quality of the vehicles, but those opinions come at the cost of experience with them. Plus, most of my early life has been in agriculture, so I know my way around fixing some things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom