I started to put this in the gearhead section but ......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me on this one thing. You'll spend way less in the long run if you spend more for a better project car. Buying parts, even little parts, is normally done in multiples of hundreds at a time. Find a car thats not missing anything. If you haven't restored a car before it's REALLY easy to bite off more than you can chew, get frustrated, and give up. From the way you described the project you're considering it sounds like something it would take the average hobbyist (like me) years to complete. Try to start with a good, complete car even if you have to wait a little while and spend more. You'll save thousands in the long run. Thats my two cents.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, that's not bad advice. I'm just now exploring options. The old man has done this before and has several buddies who have some sort of car projects going all the time. I trust they won't let me get it wrong. BUT I'd like to do as much as I can. I don't want to be that girl who takes her car on a cruise with the club and says she had to let the guys do the heavy lifting. There are several of the wives who have their own cars, and some single gals, too, who do all their own stuff. I'm in awe of what they have done with their rides.

Thanks for the advice. I may have another heart-to-heart with the old man. Maybe he doesn't understand what I'm really after. Or maybe he wants to do the work because he knows he can. Maybe we need separate cars ... lol

Maybe I should "take" the 2013 and just help him and the guys with the beater.:fallangel

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one of mine. It may look rough, but it has new motor, trans, brakes, bearings, shocks.....all the "make it safe and reliable" stuff. The interior is re-done too. If my wife knew how much $$ I've put into "that old truck" I'd be living in it. I chose it because it was 100% complete and pretty solid. I dont have to chase parts, I get to enjoy it. People ask what color I'm going to paint it, but after a couple patch panels I'm calling it done. I like the patina.
20161023_132355.jpg

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Money spent all depends on what you want. A driver that looks decent or a driver/show car. Advice about small stuff adding up is a fact. I have a log where I write down every dime spent, on what it was and date and it is a eye opener. I have three trucks I can rob parts off of as needed for my build which helps a little. Things like $600 for having grill chromed, around $2000 for interior etc adds up quick. It is by far cheaper to buy one already completed but when you build you know what you have.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so now I know what I've suspected all along. I can either buy somebody else's work and say "I bought this" or I can spend more money, sweat my ass off making decisions, learn something new and say "I did this MYSELF."

Third option is to second chair and be the gofer for the old man, learn what I like and what I dont and THEN do my own. This is starting to sound like the most reasonable option. However, if it is "his" car, then he will get to make all the decisions. THAT'S gonna be HARD. Like every woman since Adam and Eve I have an opinion. Sometimes I find it damned hard to keep those things to myself. Lol:blush::bolt:

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 101468
This is what I'm shooting for but in sunset orange with camel interior

I looked at a 2017 Challenger at Westpointe Sunday (ONLY time to window shop at a car dealer lol) that was black with a sepia leather interior. The old man didn't care much for it but it was different enough I thought it was slick. EVERYBODY has a black interior. That shaker didn't hurt either. I believe it has a 6.4 hemi ... Maybe, if I'm gonna say "somebody else built this" I ought to go get THAT one. :hey3:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one of mine. It may look rough, but it has new motor, trans, brakes, bearings, shocks.....all the "make it safe and reliable" stuff. The interior is re-done too. If my wife knew how much $$ I've put into "that old truck" I'd be living in it. I chose it because it was 100% complete and pretty solid. I dont have to chase parts, I get to enjoy it. People ask what color I'm going to paint it, but after a couple patch panels I'm calling it done. I like the patina.View attachment 101459

I like it also. A few years ago I would said paint it.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wise words have been spoken in this thread.

The first consideration is to figure out if you really want to restore a car. Disassembling the car, sanding, painting, broken bolts and bloody knuckles, blah blah blah. I thought I wanted to restore cars - until I realized - I just hate working on cars.

Back in the mid 90's I had bought a '67 Pontiac Fire-bird convertible with a 400 engine. Bought it cheap because it had an interior fire, so the thing was gutted. After about 20 years of *NOT* working on it - I finally figured out - I'm not a car guy. I gave it to my brother about 4 years ago. He's a car guy. He has the gift and can make it into something.

I'd just rather find a good-condition car (not show-car) and enjoy it.
But it sounds like you have different motivations. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom