I started to put this in the gearhead section but ......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! This is something I've thought I've wanted to do for a long time. But I will be the first one to admit that when you don't know what you don't know it's really easy to get in over your head.

I was really lucky when I got into guns to be surrounded by a group of guys who enjoyed teaching me as much as I enjoyed learning about guns and shooting. I now find myself in the same position with this car thing. I trust these guys to teach me right, laugh their asses off with me when I have some hairbrained idea, and encourage me when I get discouraged or frustrated. But there is a LOT that goes into a WHOLE car. And I'm a little bit intimidated on one hand and insanely excited on the other because 2 weeks ago there was NO WAY I could have even hoped to have been able to do something like this.

I'm leaning toward letting the old man go first and continue to look for a project a little more suited for a beginner like me. Long as I don't start looking at Mustangs I think my marriage is safe. :bolt:

Thank you guys. You have no idea how much I appreciate you letting me bounce my thoughts off you. It is really nice to have a community that is willing to share their knowledge and help out someone they don't really know. I hope I can return the favor some day to each of you.

I'm gonna ponder my options now but if y'all think of anything else (or wanna show off your rides/projects, please post). Right now the only thing I'm good at is detailing ... lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Trust me on this one thing. You'll spend way less in the long run if you spend more for a better project car. Buying parts, even little parts, is normally done in multiples of hundreds at a time. Find a car thats not missing anything. If you haven't restored a car before it's REALLY easy to bite off more than you can chew, get frustrated, and give up. From the way you described the project you're considering it sounds like something it would take the average hobbyist (like me) years to complete. Try to start with a good, complete car even if you have to wait a little while and spend more. You'll save thousands in the long run. Thats my two cents.

This 100%. Same with any era of vehicle bought for restoration or restomod. Buy the most you can buy, because the parts and pieces add up way beyond what you could have bought them for already in place. I see this in the early Bronco (66'-77') world almost weekly. A person buys a heap, gathers parts, almost immediately goes over budget, runs out of time, interest and money, then ends up selling the whole project for about 25%-50% of what they just paid for it. It's almost like loosing twice on the deal lol.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm not sure the hubby is feeling it now. Today he said "You know, it sounded like a good idea at the time but could you just SIT DOWN for a minute!!" Lol I think he might actually be looking forward to going back to work so he can get some rest. ;)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did some looking and from what little I saw my thought train was pretty much confirmed. Like mentioned before the '74 isn't really sought after. The values I was seeing were TWICE the '74 if you just back up a couple of years. I was thinking that 1974 was pretty much when the EPA got the pedal mashed to the floor on smog mandates. This is when all the fun was gone from muscle cars and didn't really return for over a generation.

None of that means you couldn't drop that 440 in it and build a killer rod though, but if it's as rough as you say, I'd probably look for another car. Old Chryslers weren't ever known for robust suspensions up front, dropping that much engine in an old dog might take a lot more work than it'll ever be worth. Whatever you get look at the frame with a microscope, if that's good, then it just takes time, money and money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know for sure but I think we might need psychiatric help. Lol

1.bp.blogspot.com__jPmgJDQfKhM_Skhos1VfXgI_AAAAAAAACn4_wUz3_Gaxbd8_s320_horshack.jpg

Ooh! Ooh! Mr. Kotta, Mr. Kotta!!!

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
If you're looking for an automotive restoration project why don't you consider a motorcycle. Size wise, you can fit 6 of them in the space needed to restore a car. Parts availability is good even for 50 year old Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs.
Like most advise here, find a running example and avoid a basket case unless you're well experienced. In addition, you'll probably need to outsource some services due to the need for special service tools.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a bike would be fun, and probably not a bad starting place to get into restoration - but for me, I am not going to take it out and drive it and enjoy it. It's a personal preference, and my experiences definitely prejudice me against motorcycles.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, true. I've been known to bite off more than I can chew every once in a while. No guts, no glory, though. Not like I can take it with me and no kids to leave anything to so might as well have some fun!
YOLO!!! hahahahaa... I like that attitude tho. Its only money. I'm kind of on the same mission- I plan to leave my kids infinite love and happiness when I'm gone, but sorry, daddy spent your inheritances on vacations, guitars, and his hotrods... oops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom