I think I’m going to buy a Tesla

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kicking or screaming we’ll all get dragged into owning a hybrid or fully electric vehicle at some point. Unless, you don’t happen to live that long.

If you don’t like the thought of being tracked, well you should probably stop using electronics, banks, mail, and just about any modern convenience.

I like all types of automobiles steam, electric, fossil fuel, and maybe someday Mr Fusion.
I love anything that goes fast for one reason or another. I only have a couple of real complaints about the electrical vehicles so far.

1. I know if I get one, I will want to start teaching myself to be an EE so I can hotrod it. Life's too short to not be able to put bus lengths on the guy in the same model next to you.

2. It can make any amateur out there a pretty capable fast driver with no real effort on their part other than pulling out their wallet. This becomes less of a thing that bothers me as I get older because I dont have any time to be competitive at a track. I just prefer to drive a fast car that is actively trying to kill me if I dont keep it under control. It is the same excitement as crawling on an unbroke horse or steer/bull right before it takes off.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my take on EV's . If you think you are helping the environment guess again. They claim most of the batteries are made in China. There are 200 coal fired power plant being built in China today. Those plants most likely won't have pollution controls on them that would even come close to the ones in the US. So, if the world goes EV crazy think of the pollution that will be created by China trying to meet the battery demands. I think the real reason Biden's buddies are pushing the EV's so much is Biden kissing China's ass and more money for the big guy.
china controls 80% of the worlds lithium supply and the same percentage of nickel (both components of Electric car batteries.) Recycling lithium batteries is prohibitively expensive. We have substantial deposits of Lithium in the US, however EPA regulations won't allow for it. 80% plus of the solar cells and wind mills are made... you guessed it china. Any doubts that the prez is paying tribute to china? What about nuclear? Guess where all that Uranium is going to thanks to HC... russia. As a matter of fact Bill Gates reactor project is on hold since he cannot get enough Uranium!

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think similar comments must have been used back when those “dang horseless carriages” were becoming the rage?
Some of them definitely were. I will admit that some of my apprehension to adopt is because I am far more familiar with the ICE configuration.

The biggest real concern I have beyond preference isn't only applicable to only EVs but any of the newer generations of vehicles. The ability of a "mothership" to switch off the vehicle or otherwise immobilize it doesn't make me have the warm fuzzies about buying anything new. The creature comforts and layers of passenger protection available now sure are awesome though!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think similar comments must have been used back when those “dang horseless carriages” were becoming the rage?
In my first and only year in college I had to do a paper on useless and antique laws still on the books as a lesson to learn how to research government records.
So I researched the laws of Tonkawa Ok where Northern Okla college is located.
Before a horseless carriage could come in the city limits, the Chief of Police had to be notified, there had to be a person with a shotgun 100 yards ahead of the horseless carriage with a red flag and shotgun to be discharged every minute while the horseless carriage passed through town.
So it appears it was a pretty slow passage through town, and I have no clue if that law is still on the books. I'm betting there are a lot of forgotten laws this dumb still on some cities books.
So your correct there was a lot of opposition to new fangled technology.
The difference now is that we are flooded with information that is minutes if not seconds old so we can make that judgement and use the internet to seperate fact from fiction if one digs deep enough to find the real truth.
We know batteries are sourced from china, we know charging times could be inconvenient, we know base load power plants are still going to be required to provide the electricity to charge them and so on.
I think the EV's are pretty cool, but the battery technology isn't there yet. It will happen down the road just as any new tech evolves.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As soon as the Tesla technology, the original Tesla technology, is released then the battery issue is a moot point. Oh hell, that ain’t ever gonna happen so long as the utilities can rape us crosseyed and policritters get their cut...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the same thing when I read some of the responses we see in this thread.

It's also funny to see the posts about power consumed to generate electricity, yet overlooking the power consumed to acquire, move, and process oil.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as the Tesla technology, the original Tesla technology, is released then the battery issue is a moot point. Oh hell, that ain’t ever gonna happen so long as the utilities can rape us crosseyed and policritters get their cut...
Actually a great point, Nichola Tesla pioneered wireless electricity! Electric trains, planes and automobiles would have been all possible. However would it have been able to provide all the electricity all would require? Wardenclyffe Tower - Wikipedia

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't the batteries for that thing around $40,000? Remember the video of a guy blowing up his Tesla because the battery was going to cost around $4K? Of course, if they have a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery it'll help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom