I think I’m going to buy a Tesla

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually a great point, Nichola Tesla pioneered wireless electricity! Electric trains, planes and automobiles would have been all possible. However would it have been able to provide all the electricity all would require? Wardenclyffe Tower - Wikipedia
That was one of my "bonus" questions back in the day for plane physics class. The internet was a twinkle in everyone's eye at the time so you had to actually look it up book by book in the library. Only two of us got it right. Tesla was also depressive and possibly autistic, but undoubtedly had talent that should have been shared way more than it was. An untapped reserve of invention.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't the batteries for that thing around $40,000? Remember the video of a guy blowing up his Tesla because the battery was going to cost around $4K? Of course, if they have a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery it'll help.
Depends, I've heard the batteries start at 17K, and the guy in the video had to pay 22K, but I could be wrong, that video was a month or two ago, and we have rampant inflation....

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There’s a collaboration of pointy headed multi phd retired mil engineers obviously supported by .gov bucks constructing a modern version of Wardenclyffe tower down in Tejas. It could go one of two ways in my mind. Either we usher in a new age of nigh utopian existence, or all those Boston Dynamics droids turn the whole world into a gigantic Romanesque abattoir ala Terminator.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends, I've heard the batteries start at 17K, and the guy in the video had to pay 22K, but I could be wrong, that video was a month or two ago, and we have rampant inflation....
Well, aren't they advertised by Elon to last anywhere from 300k to 500k miles? I mean..............most people would've traded it off by then/!~

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, aren't they advertised by Elon to last anywhere from 300k to 500k miles? I mean..............most people would've traded it off by then/!~
Anecdotally it seems that the batteries need to be replaced faster than advertised. Even assuming the batteries last 300K to 500K replacing an ICE engine every 150K miles even for a V8 is cheaper in most cases than replacing batteries, assuming one can get the batteries.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anecdotally it seems that the batteries need to be replaced faster than advertised. Even assuming the batteries last 300K to 500K replacing an ICE engine every 150K miles even for a V8 is cheaper in most cases than replacing batteries, assuming one can get the batteries.
Isn't there more to consider?

No oil changes
Difference in fuel costs
Fewer consumables(brake pads, etc)
No transmission rebuilds
Lower "rebuild" cost of an Electric Motor.

Prescut

New to the site!
Reaction score
Quite a bit of misinformation without support from folks who don't own a Tesla. Please allow me to try a few data points.

1. Elon Musk is a Conservative ! Not a liberal. Trump loves him and Biden HATES him. Elon dislikes government intensely. He doesn't believe in subsidies of any kind. He has spoken out solidly against the giant liberal democrat spending bills. He gets nailed for being anti-Union (UAW).

2. The batteries are listed for over a million miles with only a 10% loss in max capacity. All rare earth metals are recyclable from them. How long does a gasoline engine last? There is no maintenance on transmission, rearend, oil, fluids, radiator. You do change A/C filter for clean air.

3. Starting at 100%, I get 235 miles doing 70 mph in my model Y with 20% remaining. That's LA to Ehrenburg, AZ Tesla Supercharger at the river. 23 minutes to recharge to 90%. Just enough time to stretch, grab a burger, or nap. I'm 73 and ready to stop after 3 hours plus of driving. It cost $13 not $75. I plug-in 240V at home 95% of the time and recharge at half-price rate , 1 am to 6 am. I'm ready every morning.

4. Model 3 starts at $45,000, not $105,000. That big number is the for the Tesla that does under 2 sec 0-60.

5. Wait times are in months, not years. Tesla had 2 factories; with Shanghai doubling this year. This month, Tesla opened GigaBerlin, and TeraTexas factories that are billed as the finest and largest in the world. That will be 4 to 5 times the capacity within 2 years. With almost all pre-sold already. It cost a refundable $100 for a reservation. Think of it as one sleeve of small pistol primers.

6. Tesla was the first in history to score all 5 stars in the NHTSA crash tests. The Beta of FSD is already safer than a human driver, but as you can imagine, that ain't perfect.

7. Are you really complaining about the Mothership knowing one of the children may not be feeling perfect ???
My Model Y is much better now than when I bought it a year and a half ago. I get automatic, free updates every week or so from the Mothership; Christmas was awesome. Examples: I get more bass out of the 12 speakers now, I get more mileage, and I have more power. I can contact Tesla through my onboard screen or through my cell phone app. I love having a car that will get better every week far into the foreseeable future. I bought Full Self Driving (FSD) and they haven't even released it to the fleet yet. A talented group of drivers scored 99% on safety, and now have the Beta. They are in love; watch the videos. My anxiety driving with current autopilot has dropped 90% and I didn't even know I had driving anxiety.

In summary, I understand that technology is quickly leaving many of us locked in the past.
I have driven Detroit my whole life. Until you actually get to drive a Tesla, no one can explain it. The experience is a once in a lifetime event for me; nothing to compare it to.

Prescut

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quite a bit of misinformation without support from folks who don't own a Tesla. Please allow me to try a few data points.

1. Elon Musk is a Conservative ! Not a liberal. Trump loves him and Biden HATES him. Elon dislikes government intensely. He doesn't believe in subsidies of any kind. He has spoken out solidly against the giant liberal democrat spending bills. He gets nailed for being anti-Union (UAW).

2. The batteries are listed for over a million miles with only a 10% loss in max capacity. All rare earth metals are recyclable from them. How long does a gasoline engine last? There is no maintenance on transmission, rearend, oil, fluids, radiator. You do change A/C filter for clean air.

3. Starting at 100%, I get 235 miles doing 70 mph in my model Y with 20% remaining. That's LA to Ehrenburg, AZ Tesla Supercharger at the river. 23 minutes to recharge to 90%. Just enough time to stretch, grab a burger, or nap. I'm 73 and ready to stop after 3 hours plus of driving. It cost $13 not $75. I plug-in 240V at home 95% of the time and recharge at half-price rate , 1 am to 6 am. I'm ready every morning.

4. Model 3 starts at $45,000, not $105,000. That big number is the for the Tesla that does under 2 sec 0-60.

5. Wait times are in months, not years. Tesla had 2 factories; with Shanghai doubling this year. This month, Tesla opened GigaBerlin, and TeraTexas factories that are billed as the finest and largest in the world. That will be 4 to 5 times the capacity within 2 years. With almost all pre-sold already. It cost a refundable $100 for a reservation. Think of it as one sleeve of small pistol primers.

6. Tesla was the first in history to score all 5 stars in the NHTSA crash tests. The Beta of FSD is already safer than a human driver, but as you can imagine, that ain't perfect.

7. Are you really complaining about the Mothership knowing one of the children may not be feeling perfect ???
My Model Y is much better now than when I bought it a year and a half ago. I get automatic, free updates every week or so from the Mothership; Christmas was awesome. Examples: I get more bass out of the 12 speakers now, I get more mileage, and I have more power. I can contact Tesla through my onboard screen or through my cell phone app. I love having a car that will get better every week far into the foreseeable future. I bought Full Self Driving (FSD) and they haven't even released it to the fleet yet. A talented group of drivers scored 99% on safety, and now have the Beta. They are in love; watch the videos. My anxiety driving with current autopilot has dropped 90% and I didn't even know I had driving anxiety.

In summary, I understand that technology is quickly leaving many of us locked in the past.
I have driven Detroit my whole life. Until you actually get to drive a Tesla, no one can explain it. The experience is a once in a lifetime event for me; nothing to compare it to.

Prescut
Folks want to latch on to the "facts" that support their beliefs it seems. The funniest one is the non-EV/Pro Pipeline folks that show the tanker and talk about how much fuel tankers consume, and the pollution the create to support "opening the pipeline". Makes me scratch my head when they talk about how "dirty" EV's really are.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom