I think I’m going to buy a Tesla

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, about the only way electric vehicles make sense in the current situation, is if they're roofed with solar panels.

In any case, they're going to put more load on an already over-extended electrical grid.
:anyone:
___
How much electricity do oil refineries use? How much power for the fuel in the trucks delivering gas? What about the pumps moving fluid through pipelines?

The electric will shift from one consumption stream to another, but will likely need to be improved some as well.

And like explained above, many times the recharging can take place in non-prime hours if needed.

Easy to single out one thing and not look at the larger picture.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much electricity do oil refineries use? How much power for the fuel in the trucks delivering gas? What about the pumps moving fluid through pipelines?

The electric will shift from one consumption stream to another, but will likely need to be improved some as well.

And like explained above, many times the recharging can take place in non-prime hours if needed.

Easy to single out one thing and not look at the larger picture.
Yeah... you do realize all that moves/transports an EXISTING source of energy for over 200 million folks (and that's just those over 18). Electricty has to be created by/from something, along with maintaining a distribution grid.

Larger picture indeed.
___

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interestingly, the news I heard from yesterday was that he had bought "passive" shares that didn't get him any control, but today the news is that he's getting a seat on Twitter's board with a term that expires in 2024.
I heard an update to this today. Apparently, he initially filed paperwork (with the SEC, I understand) to become a passive investor, but he refiled as an active investor. Reportedly, he had been in talks with Twitter for several weeks about joining their board.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard an update to this today. Apparently, he initially filed paperwork (with the SEC, I understand) to become a passive investor, but he refiled as an active investor. Reportedly, he had been in talks with Twitter for several weeks about joining their board.
Why do I get the impression that if he's allowed on their board there will be an outright revolt? Heads will explode, logic doesn't go around there.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't there more to consider?

No oil changes
Difference in fuel costs
Fewer consumables(brake pads, etc)
No transmission rebuilds
Lower "rebuild" cost of an Electric Motor.
Yes there are. However replacing an engine and transmission is still less expensive (about 1/2 the cost of batteries.) I am not saying electric cars are bad, they are an option, but be aware you can have some major costs if you hold on to one too long. In most cases taking them to your local mechanic is not an option when something goes wrong and you must go to the dealership (BTW, Tesla has two in OK). Over time this will change, perhaps with new battery technologies like Iron-Sulphur or graphene technology.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quite a bit of misinformation without support from folks who don't own a Tesla. Please allow me to try a few data points.

1. Elon Musk is a Conservative ! Not a liberal. Trump loves him and Biden HATES him. Elon dislikes government intensely. He doesn't believe in subsidies of any kind. He has spoken out solidly against the giant liberal democrat spending bills. He gets nailed for being anti-Union (UAW).

2. The batteries are listed for over a million miles with only a 10% loss in max capacity. All rare earth metals are recyclable from them. How long does a gasoline engine last? There is no maintenance on transmission, rearend, oil, fluids, radiator. You do change A/C filter for clean air.

3. Starting at 100%, I get 235 miles doing 70 mph in my model Y with 20% remaining. That's LA to Ehrenburg, AZ Tesla Supercharger at the river. 23 minutes to recharge to 90%. Just enough time to stretch, grab a burger, or nap. I'm 73 and ready to stop after 3 hours plus of driving. It cost $13 not $75. I plug-in 240V at home 95% of the time and recharge at half-price rate , 1 am to 6 am. I'm ready every morning.

4. Model 3 starts at $45,000, not $105,000. That big number is the for the Tesla that does under 2 sec 0-60.

5. Wait times are in months, not years. Tesla had 2 factories; with Shanghai doubling this year. This month, Tesla opened GigaBerlin, and TeraTexas factories that are billed as the finest and largest in the world. That will be 4 to 5 times the capacity within 2 years. With almost all pre-sold already. It cost a refundable $100 for a reservation. Think of it as one sleeve of small pistol primers.

6. Tesla was the first in history to score all 5 stars in the NHTSA crash tests. The Beta of FSD is already safer than a human driver, but as you can imagine, that ain't perfect.

7. Are you really complaining about the Mothership knowing one of the children may not be feeling perfect ???
My Model Y is much better now than when I bought it a year and a half ago. I get automatic, free updates every week or so from the Mothership; Christmas was awesome. Examples: I get more bass out of the 12 speakers now, I get more mileage, and I have more power. I can contact Tesla through my onboard screen or through my cell phone app. I love having a car that will get better every week far into the foreseeable future. I bought Full Self Driving (FSD) and they haven't even released it to the fleet yet. A talented group of drivers scored 99% on safety, and now have the Beta. They are in love; watch the videos. My anxiety driving with current autopilot has dropped 90% and I didn't even know I had driving anxiety.

In summary, I understand that technology is quickly leaving many of us locked in the past.
I have driven Detroit my whole life. Until you actually get to drive a Tesla, no one can explain it. The experience is a once in a lifetime event for me; nothing to compare it to.

Prescut
Thank you, a very good review of the Tesla. However I have heard that although there is talk of recycling and it is done on a limited basis:

New Tesla Battery Recycling Process Reportedly Produces No Waste

"It’s worth noting that even though there are aging Teslas on the road that are now nearly a decade old, the company doesn’t actually recycle the batteries from too many consumer cars yet. Sure, some older packs are swapped out by Tesla and then recycled, but the vast majority of what it currently recycles comes from its own research and testing programs."

https://www.science.org/content/art...rs-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries
Again, it is nice to have the option of an EV, however ICE engines will be around for a while.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... you do realize all that moves/transports an EXISTING source of energy for over 200 million folks (and that's just those over 18). Electricty has to be created by/from something, along with maintaining a distribution grid.

Larger picture indeed.
___
If 10% of the vehicles were shifted to EV's, to power them we may need as many as 1,000 nuclear reactors built. As Scotty on Star Trek says: "There isn't enough power cap't, she just can't do anymore."

Latest posts

Top Bottom