I think I am better with red dot than I am with Iron sights.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I always thought of a red dot just to help you shoot quicker but man sighting in a new one along with some irons I show way better with the red dot. I can just pick it up easier than that front post and I have a better field of view as I can see above and below the dot. Wen I get that hard focus and am ready to fire it is just a lot easier to use. Anyone else experience this?

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When your eyes get to the point you need bifocals, iron sights become something you can't use.
The red dot sight is quick to aim, and when you get the trigger finger in tune with acquiring the target, its incredibly fast.
I could not get a tight group with the irons on the sand bag. With the red dot almost all of the groups I shot were on target and touching. I know some of that is my skill level but after I taped up my targets I just kept on doing it. I went back to my irons and the groups opened up at least an inch. I still had flyers with the red dot of course I know they wont fix my skill but they can at least help me hone the part I can control.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My old eyes like using a red dot.

I'm far sighted and I can't focus the rear sight. A red dot makes it much easier to shoot on target.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old eyes like using a red dot.

I'm far sighted and I can't focus the rear sight. A red dot makes it much easier to shoot on target.

You're not suppose to focus on the rear sight. Your eye should focus on the front sight, the rear sight and target should be fuzzy

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You're not suppose to focus on the rear sight. Your eye should focus on the front sight, the rear sight and target should be fuzzy
Thanks so much for your input! I've been doing it wrong for fifty years! Your vast knowledge has changed my life. I can now hit a fuzzy gnat's ass at 100 yards without even using the rear sight!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom