I think I have a bobcat problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had quite the issue with several Pyrenees that didn't get a task on their own property and frequently caused problems on several others, including mine.

The LGDs (Livestock Guardian Dogs) that stay home and have work to stay busy can be great. The ones that don't can cause a lot of harm quickly until they're dealt with. I would never recommend one to a smaller property owner who has no interest in maintaining a big dog.

Changing the topic a bit; I bought a thermal to go after my hog population. It works exceptionally well for protecting livestock or poultry too...and is great for finding lost calves at night as well as thinning out racoon, armadillo, opossum, and skunk populations. Yeah, it is a $3K+ investment, but so is a dog over the course of its life.

Reed4ammo

Thrash Panda Supreme
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a flock of chickens and had a few turkeys, but our two hens are gone and the tom is missing a bunch of feathers on his breast and there is what looks like at least one small puncture in the big bald spot. I saw a decent sized bobcat run across the road around the time the turkeys went missing, and there is one that a game camera picked up. The camera was set up about 75 yards behind our chicken yard so I know that it's been close at the very least (it also took pictures of six bucks and a hog). I know the turkeys didn't hop the fence because I keep all of the birds' wings clipped and there are no holes that they could go through. This all happened after I took down their fully enclosed sleeping area, but before I finished the new one (that's done now and the tom puts himself to bed in there).

I've used a live trap and caught a couple of raccoons and put a camera inside the chicken yard and it's taken pictures of another raccoon and a possum, but no bobcat yet.

How do I go about getting rid of this bobcat?

Where you located dude? I got 2 dog-proof traps I don't mind loaning to you. I'm in Sapulpa

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Trick to catching a cat in a cage near a chicken coop is to actually use a dead chicken tied to the inside back of the cage. Coons are almost the same although they will occasionally go in a cage with a different bait. Overall though, they have a taste for chicken now, and that's what they're coming back for. Cover the bottom of the cage with soil, some cats don't like the feel of the wire on the their feet, pull tons of feathers and cover the inside floor of the cage with feathers and outside the entrance of the cage. If you know which way the cat comes from, put the cage not far from the coop, but between the coop and his approach by a few yards. Cats get distracted easy, and if the cage is next to the coop and he starts into the cage, and one of the live chickens makes a noise or something, the cat will back out of the cage and go investigate. Make sure your cages are at least 16" tall, width doesn't matter, but height does. Good luck!!

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trick to catching a cat in a cage near a chicken coop is to actually use a dead chicken tied to the inside back of the cage. Coons are almost the same although they will occasionally go in a cage with a different bait. Overall though, they have a taste for chicken now, and that's what they're coming back for. Cover the bottom of the cage with soil, some cats don't like the feel of the wire on the their feet, pull tons of feathers and cover the inside floor of the cage with feathers and outside the entrance of the cage. If you know which way the cat comes from, put the cage not far from the coop, but between the coop and his approach by a few yards. Cats get distracted easy, and if the cage is next to the coop and he starts into the cage, and one of the live chickens makes a noise or something, the cat will back out of the cage and go investigate. Make sure your cages are at least 16" tall, width doesn't matter, but height does. Good luck!!
If I go with a box trap I'll need to get a bigger one. I think the one we are using right now is 8-10" tall.

Reed4ammo

Thrash Panda Supreme
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom