I think I'm finally gonna buy one...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years, I've been kinda on the fence about rail mounted flashlights on pistols. Don't get me wrong, they are extremely handy. Anytime you can mount a light on your weapon, it's a plus. I have a Streamlight TLR-1 on my Mossberg 500. But for some reason, I just never planned on putting a rail light on any of my pistols. I always just used a hand held flashlight.

I always thought by having a light on your pistol, you were breaking one of the four rules of firearm safety: never point your weapon at anything you are not prepared to kill or destroy. Pointing your pistol with the light on it at your spouse or kid when they get up for a midnight snack and wake you up falls under this category.

So, I'm watching some youtube vids yesterday when this one catches my eye...

I think another reason I never wanted a light on my pistol is because they look so big and bulky to me. I always thought maybe if somebody made a light that was compact enough to not stretch past the muzzle and not be fatter than the slide or frame, it would be easier to carry comfortably. The TLR-7 does this. Plus, with it's 500 lumen output, you can get enough spill to illuminate a room without getting little Johnny or Suzi in your sights.

So about a week or so, I had planned on buying the Inforce APLc. It looked like a good light. Not bad as far as lumens goes (200) but it was powered by a stupid CR2 battery. I'm already feeding about a half dozen or more lights that use one or two CR123 batteries, I did not wanna hafta buy another type of battery.

More good news - The Streamlight TLR-7 uses a single CR123 battery! :woohoo1:

According to the below video, they are supposed to be available after SHOT and will run in the $125-$150 range. They also make a TLR-8 that has a lazer on it...if you're into that sorta thing.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
500 lumens in an average sized room will ruin your night vision, and possibly blind you if the light falls onto a reflective surface like a white wall. I walk my dogs in the dark on a semi-rural street, and my 400-lumen flashlight will light up half the open front yard. Try before you buy, if you can!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, 500 lumens is a HELLUVA LOTTA LIGHT. :bigeye:

But, if you point it towards the floor (carpet) instead of the white walls, it should take away most of the punch, keeping your night vision sound, but still put off enough spill to identify your target.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 200 lumen tactical light - forgot about that - and even pointing it toward the carpet still left me blinking in a darkened room. You really need to think this one over carefully ;)

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You have the TRL-1 isn’t it 800 Lumen? You could mount try and see if you think 500 would be too much. Or buy off Amazon, you can return anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom