I walked up on a sleeping raccoon (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember Steve Irwin, he use to interact with wild animals.The one time he wasn't messing with them he took a stringray barb to the heart while scuba diving.That was the most mellow or sick coon I have ever seen.

Yep. I have a REAL healthy "respect" for wildlife that doesn't act "normal". Two weeks' worth of shots around your belly button will do that to ya.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool !
I have held tight and had armadillo's and skunks come right to me. Dillo I petted his back and he jumped 3 feet in the air.
Skunk was 5 feet from me and I talked to it at 10 feet and it was happy go lucky looking for stuff to eat on the ground.
Neither of us got shot.
In all my years in the woods i have found animals that do not have bad interactions with humans or never seen humans are not too concerned with harming us.
Unless they are the type that stalks large prey.

I say the coon was probably safe to pet. Very cool you got it on video.
You ever pet a yellow jacket on it's nest.
I had a large nest in my garage opening.. but dealt with them daily and they were harmless. My buddy reached up slowly and touched ones back and it did nothing.
The top of my head was within 1 foot of the nest daily.
I had another nest in my shed that was Red wasps and they were harmless. but seen me often.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to go back out there to hunt yesterday morning, but I wasn't able to. I was gonna go back through that part of the woods and see if I could find it again. I think Ill probably hunt Friday morning and Ill take a look around. If it was sick and that lethargic, its probably been eaten by a coyote or bobcat by now.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious as to what you find.

On the wasp deal I seen the queen start the nest making and talked with her on a daily basis with the reds and yellows.
There was one instance where I did not visit my shed for 2 weeks or so, I opened the door and I entered the shed to get a car part
The door is about 6.5 foot tall and you see the nest right in the upper corner above the door.

I walked about 4 foot in and bent down to get the part and I heard lots of close range BUZZZZING.
I was surrounded by about 8 or more Red wasps within inches of me.

I stood up and turned towards the nest and said firmly MISS WASPIE (that is what i called her) You better call off your cronies or i will kill all of you!
As quick as that all the reds returned to the nest and never said a word.

It would be interesting to have some very sophisticated listening and smelling devices in a situation like that to see if the queen called them off.

I have held my digital camera inches away from the nest and took pictures.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was little, we had a guy who lived by us. He had his whole heel ripped off from a racoon. I would definitely suppress that urge the next time I come across a wild animal sleeping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom