I want a Mauser again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
A few years back I had a Mitchell’s Mauser k98. “Numbers matching” rifle. Nice shooter. Was pissed when i later found out they are force matched and sold it to fund an AR. The collectibility was gone to me.

Now I’m wanting a Mauser again. There was one in the classifieds a few weeks ago and I probably should have bought it even though I’m positive it was a Mitchell’s Mauser. Hell it might have even been my old rifle.

anyways I kinda want to get into a Mauser again. Just don’t know where to start. Authentic k98’s are going for astronomical prices on gunbroker so I don’t think that’s in my price range. Would kind of like to be schooled on the different mausers out there that are still somewhat affordable. I’d rather have a numbers mismatched rifle than one that was force matched.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love Mausers and have owned several thru the years. It is my 2nd favorite action. I would love to own a good 1895 again. I always wanted to find one that Bubba had tried to turn into a sporter so I could fix it up. I never had the heart to convert a MILSUP in original dress. I wanted to build one with a turned down bolt handle, European Walnut mannlicher stock, a wide view 4x scope and a good after market trigger.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a good Czech VZ24 and you'll be quite pleased. They are less expensive than a K98, and better quality than the Yugo M48s.

A Swede 6.5 is a great choice, but they've gone up a bunch and the carbines command top dollar.

About anything you find in 7xx57 will have a dark bore, and probably won't be a 98 action, many are 93 or 95 models. Not terrible, but the only Mauser I'd look at would be a Swede 94/96 or some variant of 98. Depending on your taste, a Turkish 98 makes a good shooter for the money - if you find one in decent shape.

If you find something you're interested in, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my 2 cents. May not be worth 2 cents, but I've collected/refurbished Mausers for about 30 years.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Find a good Czech VZ24 and you'll be quite pleased. They are less expensive than a K98, and better quality than the Yugo M48s.

A Swede 6.5 is a great choice, but they've gone up a bunch and the carbines command top dollar.

About anything you find in 7xx57 will have a dark bore, and probably won't be a 98 action, many are 93 or 95 models. Not terrible, but the only Mauser I'd look at would be a Swede 94/96 or some variant of 98. Depending on your taste, a Turkish 98 makes a good shooter for the money - if you find one in decent shape.

If you find something you're interested in, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my 2 cents. May not be worth 2 cents, but I've collected/refurbished Mausers for about 30 years.

sent you a PM

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Spot on! Well said too. Owned them all at one time or another and his words speaks volumes

Latest posts

Top Bottom