I want to start reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thought I would pass this info on. Safety first in Edmond carries primers, powder, shells and bullets. As well as a bunch of rcbs reloading equipment. I bought 1000 Winchester primers this morning.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice.
You will soon find 1000 primers will not last very long.
Addiction!
Less than 5000 of what I use on hand and I feel like I better get more.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One day I hope to get there. At this point 1000 seems like a daunting task. How much powder do you try to keep on hand?

LOL, I got caught by surprise during the Clinton years for the primer shortage. I thought a thousand would keep me in stock, I started competition shooting. A thousand is about a months worth of shooting, give or take.

Then I got caught by the Obama election and later by the Columbine, New Town shooting, Colorado theater shooting, etc. All resulting in shortages of ammo, components, etc.

Who would have thought .22 would be where its at now?

I will not be caught flat footed again. 10K everything for a minimum stock. Bullets, brass, powder and primers in those numbers are actually the reserve.

I keep current stocks above that number and re-order before getting down to that 10K reserve.

fjtiii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with the Lee kit you are looking at and it has worked great for me. Beam scale for sure. Shop around for a RCBS 505. Read a lot and YouTube videos help some. Be safe.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also started with the Lee kit. Went to a Lyman turret and then to a Hornady LNL AP. I still use the first two. It never ends! Anyone that said you'll save money reloading meant in the first couple months. The buying never stops but you can shoot tailored loads. And as many as you want! Reloading in my opinion is well worth it.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gene Sears had Winchester primers the other day for around $30/k. Also, if you're just loading plinking loads for your 9mm (or most pistols), check out the hard cast lead bullets or plated bullets like Xtreme makes; I believe Safety First sells some of each, as an outlet for J&K Bullets out of Moore. I've been shooting the Xtreme plated bullets in my 1911's and like the price/performance so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom