I was quoted $160.00 to replace one lug nut and stud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right, I bought a injector wire harness pigtail for my diesel and they are selling a gas eng connector.... I had to pay $5 out of my refund for the return shipping.
Most of the diesel truck stuff I need I order from GenosGarage. They offer Oem and usually another option. Often the other option is the same Oem part in a non Oem box for much less money.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the wife’s van had a lug nut missing and while getting new tires I asked if they could replace the missing lug nut. They quoted me $160.00 to replace it, I said no! I went to the auto parts store and bought the stud and lug nut for less than $8.00, spent 40 minutes working on it and done. One would think if someone is buying tires from them they could fix one lug nut and for $50, but I guess if they get away with $160 from other people, why not try on all.
You need to find a new tire shop, that one is shady.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure most of y’all that have seen all the crap I post can tell I do all of my own work plus work for others. I’m confident that me taking care of my own stuff is the only reason we have a little extra money around here. Our lifestyle depends on lots of equipment so we have more stuff wear or break than the average folk. I’m positive that the repairs I do turn a profit for us even after the tool expenses I have yearly which I’m actually starting to struggle to find a tool I actually need. But, I have more time than money so I reckon that’s why it works. If I was tied to a “town job” then I probably wouldn’t wanna work on my own stuff in my free time. But, I’d probably make more money from a town job. I installed some airbags on a truck for a guy this weekend (actually it only took about 2hrs Friday eve). I installed the exact kit he would get in town but I provided the labor $300 cheaper than the town quote. Now that he saw how simple it was he can see that the town quote appears like robbery. Lots of folks are intimidated by certain tasks or they got plenty of money. My wife no longer gives me any grief about tools. She’s seen how profitable they can be. I’m always willing to help folks work on their stuff if they wanna participate and learn. I don’t charge them much if at all. Now if they just wanna dump the project on me I’ll charge what I think is reasonable. I am a fast worker though and usually have a method planned in my head if I’ve done the job before. I think many mechanics charge “book time” which is often over exaggerated. Then they have a parts markup. Yes they claim they’ll stand behind the part so that’s why they mark it up in case they have to eat labor on repairing a repair. I just know I’d personally be broke if I paid mechanics.
What tool are you looking for?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the non-mitering version and love it. It is SO much nicer than abrasive wheels. I don't use it much and it's still worth it.
I've got a Dewalt chop saw that was originally sold with the carbide blade, but had a abrasive wheel on it. I've used it two or three times in the past 20 years or so. A proper blade for it would cost more than I paid for the whole chop saw, and I've got a hand-held HF bandsaw that does most of what I need most of the time. Have the hulk of an old Taiwanese 4x6 bandsaw that I bought intending to overhaul some years ago. Haven't made much progress on any of my overhauls in the past few years, so may wait a bit to see if I ever actually need something.

Want, of course, is a whole 'nother story!

Latest posts

Top Bottom