I was Stopped for running a stop sign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped behind a vehicle making a turn from a semi rural stop sign. He was turning right, me left onto a 2 lane highway.

He went right when traffic was clear, I immediately followed him, but turned the opposite direction. It was perfect timing, an officer saw me go directly behind the driver in front of me and turned his lights on and did a u-turn in the middle of the highway and stopped me.

The officer approached the vehicle, touched my driver’s rear brake lense on the Jeep and told me why he stopped me.

I told him I did stop at the stop sign and that the vehicle in front of me was past the sign and almost on the highway when he stopped to turn.

He took my license back to the car and ran it. He came back, handed me the license and said he would give me the benefit of the doubt and let me go.

I asked him to patrol that area during rush hour because vehicles pass people turning left on the right shoulder which has caused multiple accidents and a recent fatality.

I thanked him for his service and the presence of the police they have in the area and left.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was stopped at the stop sign. The driver in front of me was a cars length past the sign. In fact, I sat there for 2 minutes waiting on traffic. The driver in front of me was there longer than that, but I don’t know how long.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was stopped at the stop sign. The driver in front of me was a cars length past the sign. In fact, I sat there for 2 minutes waiting on traffic. The driver in front of me was there longer than that, but I don’t know how long.
Oh then you were and should be fine.. Its the officer that seems confused... lol

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless, it sounds like it appeared differently to the officer. It also sounds like he did the right thing. Like you, I would've thanked him for the "break" even though you didn't think you did anything wrong.
He did. I knew as soon as I saw him, he thought I ran the sign, it was perfect timing because he saw us both starting to move. He was very reasonable. I guess it helps to have a clean driving record as well.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh then you were and should be fine.. Its the officer that seems confused... lol
He saw just a few seconds of the 2 minutes of waiting. What he saw was me moving at the same time as the guy on the wrong side of the stop sign. I am just glad he was reasonable. I was already documenting the scene in my mind to argue in front of a judge if I needed to.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you wipe off your rear lens?
No, should I? Why do they do this?

58071C67-8EE7-4615-85F8-0034FF35F9BF.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom