I was Stopped for running a stop sign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So was the 2 seconds you saved by not stopping again worth the 3 minutes or more for the encounter with the officer?
I was stopped. The issue is, I would have had to pull out past the sign. Or i guess I could have sat there longer. Many people pull out past the sign, almost everyone and that is a pet peeve of mine. It blocks the traffic from turning left coming off the highway.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He saw just a few seconds of the 2 minutes of waiting. What he saw was me moving at the same time as the guy on the wrong side of the stop sign. I am just glad he was reasonable. I was already documenting the scene in my mind to argue in front of a judge if I needed to.
Stuff like that and an little fender bender prompted me to pick up a camera that records front and rear.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They touch the rear of your car, typically the trunk, etc so they have a fingerprint on the vehicle. That way if something happens, they can place your car (and you) at the "scene". I dont think many really do it anymore with dash/body cams and the fact that I dont think theyd get a good print anyways, but thats the idea.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was stopped. The issue is, I would have had to pull out past the sign. Or i guess I could have sat there longer. Many people pull out past the sign, almost everyone and that is a pet peeve of mine. It blocks the traffic from turning left coming off the highway.
You don't have to stop behind the stop sign, common myth in OK. The only thing you would have to stop behind is a crosswalk if present. If no crosswalk is present you just have to stop before entering the intersection. You must stop at some point prior to the crosswalk if present, or the intersection if not present after the vehicle in front of you has done the same and is gone.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was stopped at the stop sign. The driver in front of me was a cars length past the sign. In fact, I sat there for 2 minutes waiting on traffic. The driver in front of me was there longer than that, but I don’t know how long.
You stopped behind the sign which is the first requirement which also puts you behind the crosswalk or stop line if any. Then you yielded to traffic which is the second requirement. You did everything right.
He was just assuming and didn't visually see you violate the ordinance, thus the "verbal warning".

When he said he was giving you the "benefit of the doubt", that's what clinched it to me that he did not see you.

You could have beaten that ticket easily had he issued one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom