I was Stopped for running a stop sign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You stopped behind the sign which is the first requirement which also puts you behind the crosswalk or stop line if any. Then you yielded to traffic which is the second requirement. You did everything right.
He was just assuming and didn't visually see you violate the ordinance, thus the "verbal warning".

When he said he was giving you the "benefit of the doubt", that's what clinched it to me that he did not see you.

You could have beaten that ticket easily had he issued one.
You don't have to stop behind the stop sign, just a crosswalk if present.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to stop behind the stop sign, just a crosswalk if present.
What if there is a white line next to the stop sign? Not a crosswalk. Some of the other mile sections have the white line. My road does not. If it will make a difference, I will contact the county and ask them to paint one. Especially if it’s a safety improvement.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran a stop light last year while coming back from hog hunting. It turned yellow and I gassed it to not make a quick stop. The cop pulled me over and asked why I ran the light and I told him (truthfully) that "if I braked that hard my shotgun would have fallen on the floor and knocked my scope out of alignment". He said he "never heard that excuse before and it was a good one" and he gave me a warning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom