I was Stopped for running a stop sign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have three options. You may stop at:
1. The stop sign.
2. A painted stop line.
3. Absent 1 and 2 you may stop at a point nearest the intersection where you have visibility of cross traffic.
#3 is one of those grey laws where interpretation is key.
Out here at the farm, I can see the next intersection a mile away with a dust trail if there is a vehicle within a mile of it on the intersecting road.
Using that definition, I could stop a mile away and proceed through the next mile unimpeded by a stop sign because I'd met the wording?
Trust me, I understand where your coming from, I just had to throw some what if's into the conversation, not that I'd ever do what is described. :laugh6:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try, speeding greater than reasonable and prudent for the road or driving conditions present, for vagueness.
I had a badass 65 ford GT-390 with NASAR Heads back in the day. Had glass packs on it that were a little loud, but not bad. l
Took a back road to the apartment complex where we lived in Leavenworth Ks at the time in the Army.
LEO was sitting in the parking lot 1/4 mile away and came after me.
Got a ticket for loud exhaust.
At city court I brought in the documentation for hearing safety levels and an actual sound meter inviting the judge to come to the parking lot and witness the actual sound level, asking when the officers ears had been calibrated to determine noise level.
The judge found me guilty, fined $50 but said he would meet me in the parking lot after court.
He deferred the fine after starting the vehicle, but it was still a violation on record.
I have a lead foot and a need for speed, so paying a ticket earned is ok with me, but give me one with an opinion about it "might" be a violation gets me researching the traffic laws.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be glad you didn't get a expensive ticket. The first ticket I ever got was for the same thing. It was $140 back then.

The cost of fines can vary greatly. When I worked at the OSBI, I used to enter data regarding outcomes of court cases. While a district court (think county and state) convicted in a misdemeanor case, the maximum fine would be $500. (That would include ALL misdemeanors, not just traffic tickets.) Municipalities have their own courts and their own statutes with limits on fines. Some municipalities had fines much higher than the maximum for district courts, some as high as $750 or $1000.

Latest posts

Top Bottom