I was taught this way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to miff another thread but start this one.
I am older and have not used the term ICE for internal combustion engine I was taught Engine and Motor.

Motor being electric and Engine being of a fuel type other than electric .

I researched Engine and way back the electric Motor was called an Engine.

We usually know what each is talking about though and a moot point really .

Kind of like Joe and I vs Me and Joe.
Yea it is not correct one way sometimes and other times the other way is not correct but you get the meaning.

Now onto Fuel, Fire and Compression.
That's what I was taught. Not air
You can have air and zero compression and the engine will not start.

You can't say air, fuel and fire because to have Fuel you need air.. that is in the mix of the fuel.

Friend brought an older lawn mower to me to fix it.
Would not run and it was scored by him during big trash days.. I did not know that.

Had air and fuel and spark but spark was at the wrong time.
Flywheel key way was sheared off.
Had a friend at Links lawn service get me one for a bottle of homemade wine.
He was due for a bottle anyway but a free 5 cent piece of steel/aluminum is good also.

Got that in and now the spark is in time with the piston position.
Got air and fuel and spark but not starting.

No compression. At least not enough to make this one lung Tecumseh engine start.
I got tired of pulling the string so I took my 1/2" Milwaukee drill and attached a socket to it and used it as a starter to spin the engine by the crank flywheel nut.

Exhaust was getting warm after 40 seconds of turning.
Took a few rests between spinning with a drill and not and sprayed wd 40 and other stuff into the cylinder and cleaned the plug a few times.

It was about 4-5 minutes I would bet of spinning when this thing finally freed up the rings and got some compression and started running on it's own.

Fuel , Fire and Compression.

If you do not have air you will not have fuel.
Gasoline by itself will not burn. You need air as air is part of the fuel.

That is the way I was taught.

Ever filled a coffee cup full of gasoline and lit it on fire.
I have and just the top burns.
You can snuff a cigarette out in it and it will not light off.

Do not try this at home children.
Crazy adult supervision is required and a big open gravel driveway.

And my carburetors are easy to tweak the AFR on and much faster than a fuel injection car to tweak on.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to miff another thread but start this one.
I am older and have not used the term ICE for internal combustion engine I was taught Engine and Motor.

Motor being electric and Engine being of a fuel type other than electric .

I researched Engine and way back the electric Motor was called an Engine.

We usually know what each is talking about though and a moot point really .

Kind of like Joe and I vs Me and Joe.
Yea it is not correct one way sometimes and other times the other way is not correct but you get the meaning.

Now onto Fuel, Fire and Compression.
That's what I was taught. Not air
You can have air and zero compression and the engine will not start.

You can't say air, fuel and fire because to have Fuel you need air.. that is in the mix of the fuel.

Friend brought an older lawn mower to me to fix it.
Would not run and it was scored by him during big trash days.. I did not know that.

Had air and fuel and spark but spark was at the wrong time.
Flywheel key way was sheared off.
Had a friend at Links lawn service get me one for a bottle of homemade wine.
He was due for a bottle anyway but a free 5 cent piece of steel/aluminum is good also.

Got that in and now the spark is in time with the piston position.
Got air and fuel and spark but not starting.

No compression. At least not enough to make this one lung Tecumseh engine start.
I got tired of pulling the string so I took my 1/2" Milwaukee drill and attached a socket to it and used it as a starter to spin the engine by the crank flywheel nut.

Exhaust was getting warm after 40 seconds of turning.
Took a few rests between spinning with a drill and not and sprayed wd 40 and other stuff into the cylinder and cleaned the plug a few times.

It was about 4-5 minutes I would bet of spinning when this thing finally freed up the rings and got some compression and started running on it's own.

Fuel , Fire and Compression.

If you do not have air you will not have fuel.
Gasoline by itself will not burn. You need air as air is part of the fuel.

That is the way I was taught.

Ever filled a coffee cup full of gasoline and lit it on fire.
I have and just the top burns.
You can snuff a cigarette out in it and it will not light off.

Do not try this at home children.
Crazy adult supervision is required and a big open gravel driveway.

And my carburetors are easy to tweak the AFR on and much faster than a fuel injection car to tweak on.
????????

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been around a while too and I've heard ICE for internal combustion engine for years. A lot of it is where you are from and the time period . FWD used to mean four wheel drive . Now FWD means front wheel drive and AWD = four wheel drive. Motors were called engines years ago. I used to hear engine lathe and I knew it was electric powered. In auto circles many use the term NA meaning a naturally asphyxiated ( not super or turbo charged) engine and some think it means a North America car.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been around a while too and I've heard ICE for internal combustion engine for years. A lot of it is where you are from and the time period . FWD used to mean four wheel drive . Now FWD means front wheel drive and AWD = four wheel drive. Motors were called engines years ago. I used to hear engine lathe and I knew it was electric powered. In auto circles many use the term NA meaning a naturally asphyxiated ( not super or turbo charged) engine and some think it means a North America car.
I think you mean aspirated. I still think fwd is front wheel drive. AWD is different than 4wd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom