I was taught this way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fuel is the actual fuel, stuff in the tank.

When you add fuel to your car, airplane, boat, lawnmower, you name it, you are putting something in a tank to use in the combustion process.

What is compressed and ignited in the combustion chamber is the mixture, fuel and air.

Whatever you were taught, that is your method, what you will find is the vast majority of people that reference "fuel" do not mean the mixture.

Even you contradict yourself, in one sentence you state:

You can't say air, fuel and fire because to have Fuel you need air.. that is in the mix of the fuel.

And then you go on to say when you are doing problem determination on the lawn mower:

Got air and fuel and spark but not starting.

So what does that mean, that you had mixture, and air? Because in your terms fuel is already gas and air.

It really doesn't matter, you call it what your were taught, I will call it what I call it, in the end, it all works...

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have fuel, air and spark, it should run. Thats what I was taught so I always start there, if still no run, then check timing and compression.

Its going to be one of those.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have fuel, air and spark, it should run. Thats what I was taught so I always start there, if still no run, then check timing and compression.

That is my MO as well, 3 basics and the most likely to start with, chase the bigger problems if those 3 check out.

I don't start out with a compression test if there is a no run condition, unless I can pull or kick it over to validate it as part of the attempt to start.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Timing is critical. I've seen a flywheel half moon sheer key with just a kink in it that prevented starting. Replace the half moon key and it runs like a top.

Great story......
I was at the small engine counter at the local auto store years ago waiting on the person to get some parts ran down.
A lady came in with a paper towel in her hand that she unwrapped showing a sheared half moon key.
She said her husband sent her to the store for a replacement just like this one.
The keys typically come in a pack of two or three, and the counter guy put the package down saying here you are.
She protested saying her husband sent her to pick up one just like this one, pointing at her sheared key. I need a two piece just like this one she said.
All I could do was spin around on the stool at the counter and hear what the counter guy had to say. He did well keeping a straight face and explaining why she needed the key that wasn't two piece.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An engine can be a motor, but not every motor can be a engine.
A craft that's on the ocean can be called a ship if it runs on the surface by engine or motor, a boat if by sail, and a boat if it runs under the sea. :D
No matter English is the hardest language to learn in the world. To, two, too, all pronounced the same with entirely different meanings in the common language.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A craft that's on the ocean can be called a ship if it runs on the surface by engine or motor, a boat if by sail, and a boat if it runs under the sea. :D
No matter English is the hardest language to learn in the world. To, two, too, all pronounced the same with entirely different meanings in the common language.
It’s interesting to think all motors regardless of power source are regarded in horse power. Does that lead us to believe the horse was the first motor.🤷🏼‍♂️

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s interesting to think all motors regardless of power source are regarded in horse power. Does that lead us to believe the horse was the first motor.🤷🏼‍♂️
If I remember right, horsepower was indeed a measure of a horse.
Looked it up.
James Watt calculated that one horsepower was equivalent to one horse doing 33,000 foot-pounds of work in one minute. To better understand this—and avoid unhappy memories of arithmetic class—picture a lone horse raising a 33-pound bucket of water from the bottom of a 1000-foot-deep well in 60 seconds. That amount of work equals one horsepower.
With so many variables involving HP in engines because not every horse can operate at the same pace and longevity, I can kind of understand why small engines have gone to CC's Vs hp. New learning curve I guess.
I can quote factory HP by CC on motorcycles all day long, but the lawn care people that build mowers won't tell you HP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom