I was thinking TC Compass 6.5 Creedmoor and changed my mind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen different POI many times. I can totally see your results at 226 but I got that much spread at 100. Just seemed a little excessive to me.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you're going to use this for Deer Hunting. Hunted all my life, and the one thing I knew, was the approximate distance I'd have a shot. So, if this is a hunting rifle, you need to figure your distance/angle/etc. (I hunted places where you rarely had huge distance shots and personally, would never take a long distance shot I was not sure I could hit consistently.) But I have no idea where your shooting, but I'd find the ammo that your gun loves at 100 yards then test it at your maximum shot. This way you'll know how the bullet stabilizes at distance. Pick the one that has the most consistent groups. Don't worry about high or low good groups but only that they are repeatable. Then just learn the dope on your scope or the hold.
Happy hunting.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dlbleak I have seen 8" groups at 100 yards from factory ammo so no surprise to me that different boxes of store ammo did that to you.
As long as you know what it did you are ahead of the game.
Friend of mine sighted in his gun AR15 .223 at H&H and then brought it hunting with ammo he had never fired.
You could not hit 8.5" x11" paper at 50 yards with it.
I began reloading just because I could not find good enough ammo to make me happy without spending 3 times what I was willing to spend.. and even then it may not have paid off.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve snapped the trigger on my new 223 a few times, it’s not bad. I’m going to dial the trigger down to the lowest setting and see how it feels.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a 6.5 yet but I have done a lot of research and my choice in bullet would be the 140 gr A-Max.
I have shot many deer with the .308 with 155, 168, and 178 A max and the .223 with 55gr V-max and not even 1 deer has got away.
Many are bang flop.
More so with the 55gr V-max.. Yea go figure.
I researched that 140gr 6.5 and excellent reviews in deer killing with it.

Yes a different brand of ammo with same weight bullet may put the rounds on paper in another area.
Same load in my older .308 but just change the brass and the load shoots on paper much farther right.
Same brass prep.
This is winchester brass vs Federal for 3 shots each and federal shot 3 was even farther right..right off the paper.
Just about 2.5" right with just a brass change at 226 yards.

If you find a box of ammo that works then get that same lot number because if lot numbers change so will the groups many times.
View attachment 129237

I could be mistaken but I don't believe Hornady makes the 6.5mm A-Max anymore. The ELD line has taken it's place.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Academe and pick up the 140 black box and a couple of other loads. Walmart has a few but get several loads. Set up Pie plates on cardboard with a 1"dot. Use as many plates as you have different loads. You'll see what runs. If you have a lead sled or something that takes the human error out, it's better. Work for groups, you can adjust the dope later.
IMO, you should clean the bore but foul the barrel with a couple of throw away shots before testing. When you find your best group, see if you can repeat it with another 5 rounds. Don't worry, or count, fliers. They just jump up out of no where (I think they all come from Matt Damon)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sighted my Ruger in with the whitetail hunting ammo. I shot the black box and still had a great group. The POI was about 3 inches high and left with the same bullet weight. I was surprised by the difference at 100 yards. Anyone else see this much change in POI in factory ammo of the same weight with 6.5?
There is a reason we reload. Factory round inconsistencies back up that decision.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a reason we reload. Factory round inconsistencies back up that decision.
Yep, I haven’t loaded for the 6.5 yet. I got the gun just a couple weeks before deer season last year and didn’t have time. I was shooting up the last of the three different boxes I had so I can get started. I’m going to work up some ladder loads this weekend.