I went to Jared..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
..username "Jared" that is.

I have a HS bud that's been losing mucho chickens over the last 2 months. He asked if I had any traps around.

Now I haven't trapped anything since HS, almost 30+ years ago. I'm quite rusty.

So after seeing Jared's posts of his trap lines and catches, I asked him a few questions. And he was kind enough to offer more than enough excellent information. Thanks again Mr.

These traps are spread out over 10 acres or so, mostly flat bermuda/open grass range. I put out 4 sets this first go-round on Friday when I finally got all the gear I needed lined up and ready. (Right click, View Image for better view)

They're all dirt-hole sets since that's the easiest, IMO.

Set 1

SW0ksbY.jpg

Set 2

2qyYsbs.jpg

Set 3

SDO8hNB.jpg

Set 4

SWRtfzg.jpg

This morning I received a text message that we got one, so I head over...

Nice little female made a mistake at Set #2. Wish I knew if she was one of the chicken thieves or not.

Set #2 was loaded up with Fox Hollow GHII (Jared's recommendation) and a few squirts of coyote urine.

Lb5iBOo.jpg

W6LQpRG.jpg

Trapping that first coyote in so long is like shooting that first deer. You know what your supposed to do but not sure if your doing everything right. This makes me feel pretty good, if I can defeat a coyotes nose and cunning, then I'm doing better with the fine details than the coyote is.

One down, hopefully many more to go..

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats! Looks like you still have it with a little polish from Jared. I enjoy taking with our wardens. They're great scouting tools as they're out there more than anyone and have always been helpful.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first coyote kill (I was 16) was circling the hen-house one morning before school.

[EDIT] Oops... that was my first with a scope on my .30-06. I had previously killed one with iron sights while deer hunting in East Texas.

The hen-house coyote started loping off when I stepped out on the back porch, and I was a little too quick on the trigger (forgot about eye relief on the new scope). Went back into the kitchen with blood running down my nose, and scared Mom half to death.

I dunno if she thought I'd shot myself, or the coyote had returned fire... :D

Last edited:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience is chicken thieves are generally fox ,coons and skunks,seldom have I seen a coyote killing chickens
Whatever is doing it is not leaving a trace, other than the "plucked" feathers. No bones, no guts, no carcass, and it occurs during daylight. That makes me think large predator, fox, coyote, bobcat, dog.?

Latest posts

Top Bottom