I wholeheartedly believe A5/Tubbs/H2 is king for 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am glad you found a good fix! As to which came 1st second third gens of AR-10s, here are some dates to ponder as to latest versions.
SR-25 first hit the civilian market in late 1990. It had been adopted by the military in early 1990. Great Magazines, some proprietary components, hit and miss on overall quality.
Armalite AR-10B hits market in 1996 right into the teeth of the "Assault weapons ban. Used retro fit M-14 magazines, would accept Reed's SR-25 mags if you could get them. Bolt lug degree of separation, cam pin, barrel nut, and extractor different from SR-25.
2010 DPMS LR-308 Hits market. Bolt lug, cam pin, barrel nut and extractor similar enough to SR-25. Bigger use of AR-15 parts like extensions, trigger groups and pins etc. Magazines hit and miss latter ones held only 19. Heavy as hell, but generally very accurate. 2013 DPMS gen 2 LR 308. Much lighter depending on configuration, more commonality of parts with AR-15. The SR-25 isn't the latest best gen AR-10 platform, but it certainly was the most reliable for a long time due to it's magazine. Rejection rate by the military was at times as high as 30% due to accuracy issues.
I have owned and shot all the above, and just about at the time they hit the market. I still own two DPMS LR 308s. One 16" carbine and a 20" pencil barrel with an A1 stock. I have been lucky as all the DPMS steel magazines I have hold 20 and have been very close to flawless. I never had trouble with either of them in the buffer, tube, spring department using the DPMS buffers and regular springs, but I do know of folks that had problems with them. My current favorite big AR is a Nemo, but it now needs a barrel

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That fde spr is exactly what I'm looking to build. I'm debating the ubr/A5 vs moe/rifle stock configuration. Does the tubbs setup bring the recoil down even with the rifle setup? Have you had any issues with the enhanced Aero handguard vs the standard atlas?

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That fde spr is exactly what I'm looking to build. Is that running a heavy profile barrel? Have you had any issues with the enhanced Aero handguard vs the standard atlas?
It's their CMV barrel. Heavy profile. I haven't had any issues at all. I have the enhanced and a 15" Atlas on my M5. I think the enhanced is easier to install.
Screenshot_20230218_204826_Brave.jpg

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@rockchalk06 how did it work out on the 5.56 rifles?
I haven't switch them over yet. I got caught up in my 300 PRC foray and have put it off. It's so dialed in right now, I'm not sure what I plan to do. It runs flawless and I can spot impacts at 3-400 yards on steel with it's current configuration

Genesis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I contacted heavybuffers and bought his recommended setup for my 308 with ubr stock. Super, super happy with it. Building another m5 based rifle now, but will use his recommended combo again. Tha k you for the intel on what worked for you! Fyi- i also used an adjustable gas block, mainly because i go from suppressed to unsuppressed, etc.

Attachments

• 20230330_093652.jpg
    20230330_093652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom