I wonder if I can get a job at KFOR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Job requirements for kfor:

1. Opinion on Oklahoma County Jail that does not include anything about staying out of jail in the first place.

2. Oklahoma County Jail gossip facilitator.

3. Oklahoma County Jail alumni association for reparations member.

4. Oklahoma County Jail remodel/flip coordinator.

5. In your corner experience. (extra corner coverage points if you knew an inmate at oklahoma county)

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Job requirements for kfor:

1. Opinion on Oklahoma County Jail that does not include anything about staying out of jail in the first place.

2. Oklahoma County Jail gossip facilitator.

3. Oklahoma County Jail alumni association for reparations member.

4. Oklahoma County Jail remodel/flip coordinator.

5. In your corner experience. (extra corner coverage points if you knew an inmate at oklahoma county)
I understand your point, but...

That OK County jail was a boondoggle from Day One. It should never have been built.

A bad design coupled with corrupt contract letting, topped with absolutely criminal construction inspection reports resulted in a jail that has been nothing but a headache.
The bill has been paid by the lives of several inmates, and the money thrown down a well by OK County residents.

The design would have worked had the building been an assisted living center, but even someone inexperienced in prison design (myself, and several hundred others) were vocal about it's weaknesses prior to being built.

When the jail was built, corrupt contractors used substandard materials, and were given a pass by corrupt inspectors.

After all that, an idiot rural Police Chief (Choctaw) was elected to be put in charge.

If not for the wasted lives and wasted money, it would be a comedy of errors.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand your point, but...

That OK County jail was a boondoggle from Day One. It should never have been built.

A bad design coupled with corrupt contract letting, topped with absolutely criminal construction inspection reports resulted in a jail that has been nothing but a headache.
The bill has been paid by the lives of several inmates, and the money thrown down a well by OK County residents.

The design would have worked had the building been an assisted living center, but even someone inexperienced in prison design (myself, and several hundred others) were vocal about it's weaknesses prior to being built.

When the jail was built, corrupt contractors used substandard materials, and were given a pass by corrupt inspectors.

After all that, an idiot rural Police Chief (Choctaw) was elected to be put in charge.

If not for the wasted lives and wasted money, it would be a comedy of errors.
Yeah, that jail has been a problem since it was built. Apparently, the only thing that exceeds the poor design of the jail was the poor construction quality. Back in the day, I knew a deputy who worked the jail, and from what he said, the whole building was very close to being condemned Before it was even open.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two things here...

...autocorrect is the devil...

...and, sometimes my fingers get to typing faster than my brain and letters from the next word end up in the presently typed word.

At least, that is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Autocorrect is my worse enema.

It makes me say things I didn't Nintendo.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read an article, again on KFOR, about reining horses. The author wrote about "a mettle" of horses. Is that a horse term? I thought it meant tenacity and fortitude. Should it be "an electric" of horses?

Just so you'll know, for the first three days there is "free admission to in preparing for Christmas".

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just read an article, again on KFOR, about reining horses. The author wrote about "a mettle" of horses. Is that a horse term? I thought it meant tenacity and fortitude. Should it be "an electric" of horses?

Just so you'll know, for the first three days there is "free admission to in preparing for Christmas".

Mettle is as you described, but the link below also takes it a bit further in the definitions with the secondary definition, although not necessarily related to horses.

The Free Dictionary - Mettle

"met·tle​

n.
The ability to meet a challenge or persevere under demanding circumstances; determination or resolve: a race that tested the best runners' mettle.
Idiom:
on (one's) mettle
Prepared to accept a challenge and do one's best."

I've also heard the phrase with regards to horses in the hunter/jumper class of equine competitions. Basically used to describe a horse's courage to face any obstacle in the course of the competition. (Some horses might not like jumping over barriers.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see what you're saying but it appeared to be used as a synonym for group or herd.

Of course, come to think of it, that's my point. The purpose of an article is to tell a story using printed words. If the reader has to speculate on what was meant because of poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, or word choice, then the author has failed fundamentally. What happened to editors and literacy?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe this helps as to what to call a group of horses? To me, either "herd" or "string" would be the correct term for a group, although for the most part, I've used herd.

"What is a herd of horses called?

Question: What is a group of horses called? Answer: It is alternately called a team, a harras, a rag (for colts), a stud (a group kept primarily for breeding), or a string (a group belonging to or used by one individual)."

Latest posts

Top Bottom