Ice Storm! (?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well had been pretty lucky until the thaw today. I usually loose power everytime the wind blows but been good this time till 2pm today. Our rural electric Northfork just posted on facebook they got more crews coming but prepare to be out 48 hours. Didn't have a limb one down until today now my yard is covered.
The last big ice storm was without power 10 days while they replaced poles and line to the east of us. That line crosses a large ranch and they pulled the utility trucks in with a dozer to set new pole then pulled them to the next one. May be a long wait for electricity if that is what happened again.
Fireplace is burning an generator is running. Tommorrow will get the big generator running just in case this takes awhile.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours has gone off and on several times the last few days. I thank God for the linemen, and my O2 company that supplied me with a big a$$ back up tank.

And watch out tomorrow folks. They are talking 30 to 40 mph winds which will have a lot of those damaged limbs falling.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And watch out tomorrow folks. They are talking 30 to 40 mph winds which will have a lot of those damaged limbs falling.
We have a lot of what I call widow makers hanging from our trees right now. You never know when they will fall.
After the ice storm in 2011, we had some that stayed hanging for years afterward. Always cautious when mowing under them.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a lot of what I call widow makers hanging from our trees right now. You never know when they will fall.
After the ice storm in 2011, we had some that stayed hanging for years afterward. Always cautious when mowing under them.

Yep we have a few of those this time too. The lady next door has a big white oak in her back yard and every ice storm it gets damaged. Some fall on her house, some fall in our yard. Last time there were some hanging low enough over the fence that I could take my little pole saw and cut a bunch off while she was out running around.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from owning hundreds of trees a few months ago to owning a handful of scrawny cedars and a few bradfords. Man did Me and my back luck out. I feel for you guys with a lot of work on your hands.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These last few days have been rough, I’m getting to old to work like this. Do not like ice storms, lol. Put up lots of wire and poles, cut hundreds of trees that have feel across our line and slipped and busted butt along the way. I have not meet one person that was mad before no power, all very supportive. It’s nice working for people that appreciate you, makes the day a little warmer. Got to get my six hours sleep now and hit it again tomorrow!

You Sir, have my fullest admiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom