Ice Storm! (?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man am I pooped! I have a big heart and a Bluebird butt. I cleaned up my yard yesterday. I cleaned up my neighbor that is gone and selling his house behind me. I helped the guy across the street clean up his. I took pictures of another neighbor lady's damage from trees other than hers and sent the pictures to her. I again opened my mouth and siad, "I'll be happy to clean up your yard." Thank God she's putting it off until next week to give her neighbor a chance to see the damage her tree caused.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same thought when I filled all 4 cans. That was 5 days ago and still no power

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah. Tomorrow is day 4 for me. lol

At least I have finally accumulated enough hours on my generator now that it has finally, FINALLY stopped guzzling the gas as bad as it used to. It actually will run 12 hours on a tank now. Never would do that before and I bought the thing in 2007 so you know why I posted that. I've talked to people that swear these Yamaha engines take about 60 hours to break in. I find that fairly close. When I hit 70 hours it seemed to burn a noticeable amount of less fuel. So at least there's that...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to give Kudu's to @tyromeo55 for offering to help drive all the way to OKC to help on her problem as a licensed electrician.
Thank you Sir!
She had issues of trees down, and the weatherhead down. She is on O2 and the backup supply was getting short because the o2 machine had to run on AC power. No heat, no lighting.
This morning her new neighbor came over, got the trees off the lines and reattached the weatherhead. The neighbor is a licensed Heat and Air worker, so she got lucky today.

Last edited:

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for all you guys still without power I know there are still a lot.

Generator question. So I have a gas furnace in the attic. It has a 110v plug which I assume is for the fan. Can I use an extension cord for that and plug into a generator and my furnace will work? Or is the furnace tied into the circuit breaker and thats a no go?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for all you guys still without power I know there are still a lot.

Generator question. So I have a gas furnace in the attic. It has a 110v plug which I assume is for the fan. Can I use an extension cord for that and plug into a generator and my furnace will work? Or is the furnace tied into the circuit breaker and thats a no go?
Turn off the breaker for the furnace, then plug in the fan at the plug you found.

ETA: Run a heavy enough extension cord. Those furnace fans run more amperage than one may think.

Turning off the breaker will prevent your generator backfeeding into the grid. If it backfeeds, you run the risk of injuring a lineworker.

If a lineworker finds power at the outage from someone backfeeding the grid, you will be last in line to get repairs. They have to hunt down the offender and get them to shut off the gennie.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Turn off the breaker for the furnace, then plug in the fan at the plug you found.

ETA: Run a heavy enough extension cord. Those furnace fans run more amperage than one may think.

Turning off the breaker will prevent your generator backfeeding into the grid. If it backfeeds, you run the risk of injuring a lineworker.

If a lineworker finds power at the outage from someone backfeeding the grid, you will be last in line to get repairs. They have to hunt down the offender and get them to shut off the gennie.

Exactly what I needed to know thanks. Since my thermostat inside has a battery in it I guess that will still work with the furnace to change tempature?

Latest posts

Top Bottom