Ice Storm! (?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for all you guys still without power I know there are still a lot.

Generator question. So I have a gas furnace in the attic. It has a 110v plug which I assume is for the fan. Can I use an extension cord for that and plug into a generator and my furnace will work? Or is the furnace tied into the circuit breaker and thats a no go?
That's what I did.
1 HD extension cord into the attic and 1 cord to the fridge.
My generator will start and run both but not at the same time.
I intend to have an electrician install a 6 circuit transfer switch before Spring and make things easier.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have power, for about the last 48 hours.

I've spent about 16 hours cleaning up downed branches. I have 3 burn piles, each about 3 times the size of my F250.

I'd say I'm about 5 to 7 % done. Maybe less. I'll save most of the trees. The pin oak is gonna get a chance, but the 60' pine trees that were stripped of all their branches are gonna have to come down. I don't know when, and it ain't gonna be soon. I'll save dropping those for when I've got all of this other crap stacked & burned. Maybe next fall. I dunno.

I'll have my little Mexican buddy come out and trim the tall, dangerous widow makers that will tear up more stuff if they come down on their own. No telling what that will cost. It will just be the trees up close to the house. Maybe 10-12 big limbs. The ones out away from structures are just going to have to dangle until mother nature brings them down.

My Stihl pole saw went on the blink, but the local small engine guy, with mustard stains on every shirt I've ever seen him in, got it going again in about an hour. On the plus side the MS 271 with the 20" bar I bought in the spring is a beast. Like a hot knife thru butter. The chain is new, and the motor is powerful. I highly recommend you owning one, even if you don't need one, just because; Chainsaw.

The cedar tree wind break at my dog runs crushed the south side of my pen. I'm outta the bird dog business, so I won't replace that. I'll just clean it up the best I can, and move the yard dog's house over into the middle run. I have to pen him up during thunder storms or he goes into town and turns himself in at animal control. (not kidding)

Seriously, I could have done without all this. What a giant P I T A.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Turn off the breaker for the furnace, then plug in the fan at the plug you found.

ETA: Run a heavy enough extension cord. Those furnace fans run more amperage than one may think.

Turning off the breaker will prevent your generator backfeeding into the grid. If it backfeeds, you run the risk of injuring a lineworker.

If a lineworker finds power at the outage from someone backfeeding the grid, you will be last in line to get repairs. They have to hunt down the offender and get them to shut off the gennie.

If the furnace is plugged into the generator, how would power get from the generator to the grid? How is the breaker even in the loop? Not arguing, just wondering.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom in NW OKC electricity has been off since Monday 10am.
I had grandsons come over today and I got the last two trees cut down and they stacked everything by the curb for pickup. Yukon is supposed to start picking it up on Monday.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been very fortunate over the years. I don't know that we've ever been without power for more than 8-10 hours, and we built this house in '76.

However... we're only 5 miles from the southern OK border, only 2-3 miles (as a crow flies) from a large substation, and on a Co-Op that trims along the power lines annually.

I'd like to say we chose wisely... but I was 19 when we moved into this house, and any/all good results of that have been the goodness of the Lord and dumb luck.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom