ID this snake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1562969501709.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pic. Daughter find it on the side of her house, and she's a bit concerned about her dogs.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a cottonmouth. Not a corral snake. Not a copperhead. Can't be a rattler can it? Pretty sure it isn't. A lot of variations of those damn things and you can't really see the colors or the tail.

I'd guess,If your daughter lives in the United States, her dogs are probably safe.
But don't take my word for it.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No snake expert but that head looks kinda triangular, which I believe is an indicator that they are poisonous .

Fun fact... Head shapes aren't an indicator of danger. In Oklahoma, eyes are an indicator. Elliptical pupils are the giveaway, like cat eyes, but that only applies to Oklahoma native snakes.

More than likely, this little critter is an average run of the mills nope rope. Rat snake or patterned glossy. While I'm not a fan of killing beneficial snakes, if you can't ID it positively, time to bust out the hoe.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a bull snake aka rat snake aka chicken snake, eats chicken eggs, rats, mice stuff like that. Bull snakes are not venomous but can be arseholes and act and strike like a rattler, no worries unless its close to the house or trying to get inside, if on the country and have chickens I would relocate it to out in a pasture, if no chickens put it in a barn your mouse issues will go away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom