- Jun 4, 2009
- Reaction score
- Here, but occasionally There.
Just a little south of Santa Fe is Madrid, NM. It’s a community of leftover hippies and flower children. Lots of arts and craft shops.
It’s claim to fame is the filming location of Wild Hogs. Also, for those Longmire fans, it’s the home of the bar The Red Pony.
Speaking of filming locations, when I wrote of the Highway 550 and Highway 50 loop and mentioned the Royal Gorge, I failed to mention another little factoid. As one is going to the Royal Gorge on that side road, one passes a feature on the right that is referred to as Buckskin Joe. It is largely gutted now, but at one time, Buckskin Joe has been used as a "town" for a number of movies. Several years ago, the "town" itself was dismantled, leaving only a tourist trap and a small train that would take one over to an overlook where one could see the gorge and the Royal Gorge Bridge. But, even the train is now gone and the tourist trap is closed. Last I heard, someone is trying to develop that area now for biking and hiking.
I remember Buckskin Joe when it was still a "western town" with shootouts. That was back in the early '60's.
Partial list of films done at Buckskin Joe's.
The town was a western movie filming location with more than 21 films to its credit, including Cat Ballou, The Cowboys and The Sacketts. The 1991 television feature Conagher starring Sam Elliott, Katharine Ross, Ken Curtis and Barry Corbin was filmed at Buckskin Joe. Conagher was the last film in which Curtis appeared. The final movie to be filmed at Buckskin Joe was "Cactus Creek"; filming concluded just before the sale of the town was announced.
Partial list of films
- Cat Ballou (1965) Jane Fonda, Lee Marvin
- True Grit (1969) John Wayne, Glen Campbell, Kim Darby
- Barquero (1970) Lee Van Cleef, Warren Oates, Forrest Tucker
- The Cowboys (1972) John Wayne, Roscoe Lee Browne, Bruce Dern, Slim Pickens
- The Brothers O'Toole (1973) John Astin
- Mr. Majestyk (1974) Charles Bronson
- The Dutchess and the Dirtwater Fox (1976) George Segal, Goldie Hawn
- The White Buffalo (1977) Charles Bronson, Jack Warden
- How the West Was Won (1977 TV mini-series) James Arness, Eva Marie Saint
- Comes a Horseman (1978) James Caan, Jane Fonda, Jason Robards
- True Grit: A Further Adventure (1978 TV movie) Warren Oates
- Silverado (1985) Kevin Kline, Scott Glen, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, John Cleese
- Conagher (1991) Sam Elliott, Katharine Ross, Ken Curtis, Barry Corbin.
- The Sacketts (1991) two-part television movie, Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck
- Cannibal! The Musical (1993) Trey Parker
- Lightning Jack (1994) Paul Hogan, Cuba Gooding Jr.