Ideas for New Mexico trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and before I forget, do not miss going to pagosa springs Colorado. It's beautiful there and one of my favourite places in Colorado besides Ouray. In pagosa springs there is a pizza place called Rosie's pizzeria. It's very good, stuffed garlic knots are delicious. Also, pagosa brewery has some good food and good beverages. There is a steakhouse there called boss Hoggs, it's not bad but they do not season their steaks at all. So if you like seasoned steak you will be disappointed.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Number of references for Colorado need to be touched on. I know you aren't necessarily interested in Indian ruins, and Mesa Verde was mentioned. It is a dang worthwhile trip to make, but to see most everything, Mesa Verde is a whole day excursion. And, with regards to the Covid pandemic, areas of Mesa Verde are, or were, closed. One couldn't walk down to the cliff dwellings, and that is a highlight of Mesa Verde.

Million Dollar Highway was mentioned. I think it is Highway 550 and it IS a BEAUTIFUL drive. If one was considering that and wanted to see more, go on up to Montrose and catch Highway 50 to go east. You would also then be going by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison (just north of Highway 50) and then over Monarch Pass. Highway 50 also goes along the Arkansas River through Canon City. West of Canon City is the turnoff to go to the Royal Gorge Bridge.

Beyond Canon City, one would hit I-25 at Pueblo to head back south.

I think I may know more about things to see in Colorado than I do for Oklahoma, and that is strange considering most of my life has been spent in Oklahoma. If you wanted to see pictures of some things up there, I've got LOTS of pictures from there on my Smugmug site.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to drive the million dollar highway, may as well go to Ouray. There is a nice hotel called the box canyon lodge and they have hot tubs that are fed by a natural hot spring that comes out of the hillside. It's amazing! There is a beer bar in Ouray and the owner is allegedly the bar version of Dongs. But it's part of his schtick. I have not been there. Mr. Grumpy pants brewery.

https://untappd.com/v/mr-grumpy-pants-brewing-company/155546

https://ediblesouthwestcolorado.com/mr-grumpy-pants/

Last edited:

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little south of Santa Fe is Madrid, NM. It’s a community of leftover hippies and flower children. Lots of arts and craft shops.
It’s claim to fame is the filming location of Wild Hogs. Also, for those Longmire fans, it’s the home of the bar The Red Pony.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to drive the million dollar highway, may as well go to Ouray. There is a nice hotel called the box canyon lodge and they have hot tubs that are fed by a natural hot spring that comes out of the hillside. It's amazing! There is a beer bar in Ouray and the owner is allegedly the bar version of Dongs. But it's part of his schtick. I have not been there. Mr. Grumpy pants brewery.

https://untappd.com/v/mr-grumpy-pants-brewing-company/155546
Yep. We go every year to Ouray. Love it.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We really enjoy the northern NM southern Colo area. The trains are one of our trips. The wife prefers Durango- Silverton, I prefer Chama-Antonita. My recommendation, if you do Chama-Antonita, take train from Chama to Antonita and bus back. We did the train from Antonita to Chama one time. Never again!
Lots of neat trails out of Pagosa Springs can be made by pickup. As been mentioned before, we wouldn't even consider going to Taos and not stopping by Michael's Kitchen. Also, another plug for the play at Palo Duro Canyon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom