Ideas for New Mexico trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember that place.......

Also, around Ridgway Co are several locations for the movie True Grit starring John Wayne. You can even dine in town at the True Grit Café........ Another little known fact about Ridgway, is there's a little hole in the wall artist shop-----and inside is the guy that sculpts all the Grammy's for the awards show........ He makes up a batch every year,, then throws them in the back of the truck and heads out for Hollywood.
IMAG0673.jpg
Caught a rainbow coming out of a diner in Ridgeway, 2017. We haven't been able to eat at the True Grit restaurant, wait time is usually an hour by the time we hit town. Good yuppy taco joint couple blocks west we ate at last year. I'm guessing today you would have to eat the taco through you mask.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 201329Caught a rainbow coming out of a diner in Ridgeway, 2017. We haven't been able to eat at the True Grit restaurant, wait time is usually an hour by the time we hit town. Good yuppy taco joint couple blocks west we ate at last year. I'm guessing today you would have to eat the taco through you mask.
That Taco place is good. Yuppy for sure, but good. GNAR Tacos

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had forgotten all about that place! Yep, kinda' weird, but definitely worth a stop!

Barricaded with guards when we were there last summer. NM Governor had everything shut down. You couldn't even be outdoors on a trout stream according to the regulations because you may spread the covid or something insane.
As a person who ignores the rules that are insane and stupid, buddy and I walked many, many miles along the Rio Los Pinos throwing a fly for trout all by ourselves because evidently everyone else bowed to that idiot governor. Fawk her and her "rules".

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds awesome, I would LOVE to rent a 4WD and go up in the hills. I'm definitely going to look into some of this!
If you can, i would recommend putting a reservation in advance as they can be real busy, especailly on the weekends. WE vacationed in Red River about two or three summers ago and could not get a reservation for the 5 days we were in town.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can, i would recommend putting a reservation in advance as they can be real busy, especially on the weekends. WE vacationed in Red River about two or three summers ago and could not get a reservation for the 5 days we were in town.
Get a Can Am or Razor. The utility UTV's don't have good suspension and they are pretty rough riding up the trails.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at a couple of places, but I'm going to have to do a lot more research and find the best one to use. Open for idea for a specific company or site if ya'll have 'em - it's hard to judge from a website which are good, they all say they're the best! lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at a couple of places, but I'm going to have to do a lot more research and find the best one to use. Open for idea for a specific company or site if ya'll have 'em - it's hard to judge from a website which are good, they all say they're the best! lol
We have only rented from two. One in Red River and the other in Colorado.
No matter who you rent from, take a detailed video of the exterior and the seating area. When you come back, they will inspect the vehicle for any dent, etc and charge you for it. They sell insurance to cover that as well.
When you take off, and notice ANY anomolity in sound, suspension, clanking, or weird noise, turn around and take it back to the dealer to exchange for another. You don't want to be caught up on the mountain broke down with no cell service.
There are enough people riding those trails though that can and will get assistance to you but it may take awhile.
Take plenty of water and snacks. More than one would think you need. High altitude/low humidity can dehydrate quickly.
Sorry for the gloom and doom rant, but it's actually a hoot. Just passing along some experience to keep that experience fun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the place in red River is gone for renting side by sides. They built the brewery where that place used to be.
Place South of town where the road splits and the horse's can be rented also rents UTV's and ATV's. The place that rents the Razr's is a block south of the brewery at a place that used to be a gas station. That was a year ago, so all subject to change this season. Not saying your wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom