Ideas for New Mexico trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911er

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They had a pretty good ice cream stand there last time I was there. “The Taos Cow”. Heck... even just drive all the way up to the ski valley. That’s a beautiful drive all in itself.

Wow, what a small world this is! One of my recent trips out there in the winter, they'd had no snow yet and very little the previous year. I was bivouacked on the Hondo, awoke at roughly 0400 to a light steady snow, broke camp and drove up to the mountain. There was at least a foot on the ground by the time I got up there, did some non-sanctioned 4'by-ing around the resort before the plows got there, let my wolf run around a bit, borrowed some coffee from the lodge, and roostertailed out of there. Good times.
tRidiot, no doubt you'll go through Albuquerque at some point, might as well stop off at the Frontier for some Hatch and sweet rolls. It's across from UNM, used to be a 24 hour joint but I think they had some trouble with a few south of the border types in the wee hours.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've just spent the last couple of hours going through and making notes on this thread. I have a 2 page Word document to give to my wife to have her look through all of the recommendations and see what we can fit in. We really only have about a week, so that is going to limit us, and taking the dog will complicate things a bit, too.

But we'll figure it out. I appreciate all the tips and tidbits, I think it's going to be a great trip!

<edit> And for all you MFers who recommended Michael's Kitchen in Taos, I'm gonna be cussing you for the next 6 weeks! I spent half an hour reading reviews and looking at pictures, and now I'm so hungry I could eat my keyboard if they poured that red and green sauce over it!

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not read all, so these may have all been said.
If you are going to Santa Fe. I would go on north to Taos. Taos has become more run down and dirty over the years, But the Mesa Brewery and La Cueva Cafe both have great food. If you are that close, you have to go to Red River. "IMO" the most beautiful place in New Mexico.
Going south, I would slide down to Ruidoso. We go to NM three to five times a year. It is a beautiful state.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we've got some great ideas and jumping off points - now we need to settle on a route so we can start looking for doggy day cares in all these areas.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In red River, rent a side by side 4 seater and spend the day taking the trail to goose lake. Absolutely stunning views right at the timberline with alpine meadows.
Take a lunch and refreshments.
Take the ski lift in town to the restaurant at the top. It runs year around.
In the Silverton Co area rent a UTV or jeep and spend the day on mountain trails. You can get up to almost 13000’ altitude at California pass.
The train from Antonito Co to Chama Nm is very scenic. The last passenger car is the club car where you can purchase beverages.
The Rio Grande gorge bridge just outside of Taos is a place a lot of folks visit. You can park and walk out on the bridge to take pictures.
Goose lake is beautiful. We have Jeeped to it many times. We are hiking it this year. If you like to hike, Middle Fork Lake is my favorite hike in that area. The whole hike is beautiful and you are usually at the top by yourself.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh...

...used to do Red River when I was a youngster. Last time there was as a junior or senior in high school. Now, I think it is just a touristy town.

As for most beautiful place in NM, I'd say no.
Most of these places have become more touristy. That is why I love hiking. I always tell people that you will never find the most beautiful places on wheels. Red River is where we stay. I have hiked many miles all around that area. I have talked to people who have been going their whole lives and have never seen some of the hidden treasures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom