identical twins get 5 ancestry dna tests.....don't waste your money.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There are some serious family secrets being uncovered through these inexpensive tests. You can share your info across multiple vendors and if a cousin, sibling, parent etc. also does BAM!
Yeah, my Mom had hers tested and found out that she is related to at least two of my children. [emoji16]

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like social media - an excellent way for people to volunteer information about themselves, their whereabouts, etc., without the authorities needing to lift a finger if they want info on you for any reason. In this case, their DNA to be put into a database for future ****ery. Screw that. Yeah, I wear a tinfoil body suit.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some serious family secrets being uncovered through these inexpensive tests. You can share your info across multiple vendors and if a cousin, sibling, parent etc. also does BAM!

It's all fun and games until a process server shows up, with a summons ordering a dude to appear in the family court.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WebMD sent me this the other day and if you want to weed through it click on read more. How many marriages were destroyed as a result of unreputable DNA tests?
The Truth About Mail-In DNA Tests
Dozens of companies offer them, and they can be done with a sample of your saliva or a swab of your cheek. The catch is, you may learn "facts" about yourself that aren't quite factual.
Read More

Myth: All Tests Are the Same
While no testing company can guarantee that the information it gives you is 100% accurate, some are better than others. If you decide to try at-home DNA testing, look for one that meets the U.S. standards called Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), and check to see if the tests have been approved by the FDA.
10/13
Myth: Personal Info
Read the fine print. Most companies make an effort to keep personal data "private," but that can mean different things. Make sure you understand what data they’re collecting and who will see it.
10/13
Myth: Harmless Fun
At-home DNA tests can be entertaining, even if they're not always accurate. But they can cause stress, too. Sometimes genetic tests reveal not-so-happy surprises, like a family member not being related to you or the possibility that you’ll get a certain condition. You might talk with a genetic counselor before deciding whether to get tested. And if you decide to do it, the counselor can help you understand the results.

Last edited:

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of someone that is big into ancestry. They got themselves and their spouse, plus their children, DNA kits for Christmas.

I'm thinking WTF!

If you know you and your spouses ancestry through DNA and you are both the biological parents of your children, why would your children need to have their DNA checked???

The kids might enjoy having their own report. There might be medical conditions the kids have that the parents didn't that some of these tests can find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The kids might enjoy having their own report. There might be medical conditions the kids have that the parents didn't that some of these tests can find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I guess, but their entire reason for doing this is for tracing their ancestry.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess, but their entire reason for doing this is for tracing their ancestry.

Not necessarily. There are markers you may know for a fact you have and want to know if you passed on to your children. Good or bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom