Identify this track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Came across this last night and it has kinda baffled me. It appears to come from a hoofed animal, but not a cloven hoof. That only leaves a few choices, mule, horse, or mule footed hog (which was recently discussed in another thread). I threw down a credit card for a size reference. It appears too small for a mule or horse, but I am not going to rule out some kinda stupid miniature horse. So that leaves me with a miniature horse or a mule footed hog. The last picture is a photo of a mule footed hog. Pic 2 and three show what appears to be a definite front indention, almost like the animal was shod, which I wouldn't think you'd get from a shetland. Any thoughts?
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_1.jpg

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_2.jpg

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_3.jpg

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_4.jpg

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_5.jpg

[Broken External Image]

If it does turn out to be a mule footed hog, Okie4570, you might get a chance to make some extra money from that ol boy offering cash for a mule footed hog! If it turns out to be a shetland, you might get a chance at a trophy pony mount. BTW, these were found on Deer_Slayer's land where you will be hunting next weekend.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't that the track of the elusive Liberal tree hugger? You had better take car of that I hear that they breed and spread fast like cock roaches.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
feral_hog_hooves.jpg

im not seeing the toe points on the rear of the track in the pictures. sure looks like a small shoed horse, not seeing shoe-less V shape in the middle.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im not seeing the toe points on the rear of the track in the pictures. sure looks like a small shoed horse, not seeing shoe-less V shape in the middle.

I agree, but I wouldn't expect to see dewclaw tracks unless they sink down in the soil enough. These tracks are pretty shallow. Bout the only time I really notice dewclaws are if they are in loose soil or mud, animal was running, or has some significant heft to it. In the 4th picture, there is a small deer track beside it, and you don't see the dewclaw on it either. I tend to side with you on a shod horse as opposed to something rare and exotic, only because everything is not a "black panther" just because you can't identify it. Just can't see rhyme or reason a mini-pony would be in there. Maybe deer_slayer has little monkeys that ride around his place on mini-horseback, keeping a lookout.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at the pics before reading anything, I just knew you were going to reference the mule footed hog thread:)

Ignoring the size, it looked like a horseshoe. Do people shoe shetland's? I don't know that I've ever seen one shod or probably never paid any attention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom