Idpa multigun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the rules for anyone that wants to read them...

IDPA 3 Gun Rules

This was taken from Gose's post on the same topic over on Brian Enos forum. I think it pretty much sums it up.

quote "10 shotgun rounds max / stage isnt much... Especially since you're only allowed 5+1 and an additional 6 on your belt, two spare rounds isnt a lot, especially if the stage is mixed bird/slugs.

Oddly enough no mag capacity for rifle, but stages with more than 15 rounds (18 max / stage) must have a mandatory reload.

No weak shoulder long gun at more than 20 yards as well as the no headshots beyond 30y seems a bit restrictive.

"only one type of ammunition may be loaded before the start of a stage", so no mixing bird and slugs in the tube. Not really sure I understand the need for this either, especially with the 5+1 mag capacity.

15yard max total movement for a multigun stage? I can understand that they dont want it to be about who can run a 100y dash faster, but 3 guns in 15 yards?

I'm sure some fun matches can be built with this format, but I dont really see myself traveling any distance to attend one."

Not that I won't shoot IPDA multi gun if its available. Any multi gun is more fun than a one gun match. But IDPA just limits the shooting fun more so than Outlaw or USPSA which is a bummer.

While I understand your dissapointment at the restritive nature of the IDPA DMG rules, it will never be a high round count, run & gun sport. The intent is to balance the need for enough rounds to satisfy shooters, while keeping engagement distances and round counts relatively realistic. It's a fine line to walk.

People focus on the "P" in IDPA, when the "D" reigns king. The capacity restrictions do level the playing field between a 5 shot Mossberg 500 HD and a tricked out 10 shot Winchester SX3. That's on purpose. More people have the 500 HD behind the door than those with the SX3. IDPA was never intended to be about catering to the Masters & Grand Masters (or those aspiring to be one). It's the everyman's sport that doesn't penalize the Marksman or Sharpshooter on a limited budget.

We all know that the high end gear will still outrun the vanilla stuff. But how many people do you see in USPSA or Outlaw Multi-Gun with several thousand dollars worth of gear and a cool shirt with logos plastered all over it, who can't shoot for crap? They would be better off with a low cost used setup and spend the rest of their $$$ on training and ammo.

If we run DMG at the USSA IDPA match, it will probably start with using 6 regular pistol stages for rifle shooting after the regular pistol match is over. We'll have it set up where the pistol shooting is done up close, then the rifles will shoot from farther uprange (sort of like ladies vs. mens tees in golf). We may throw in some extra targets for the rifle shooters to get the round count up. Eighteen rounds over 6 stages would be 108 rounds after all. Max range will be 50 yards, due to the size of the MP bays at USSA and the intended "defensive" nature of the scenarios. You would be able to shoot either rifle, pistol or both.

We would charge an additional entry fee for the second run to defray the cost of extra targets (cost for the 2nd run hasn't been determined at this point). Scoring hasn't been worked out yet either. I've been wanting to do this since HQ told us about DMG, but waited until the rules had been finalized to avoid confusion about what's allowed and what's not.

If the interest is there (including helpers!), we'll move into rifle/pistol, pistol/shotgun and finally, all three. The main focus of IDPA at USSA will remain on pistols though! You will not be required to shoot a shotgun or rifle to attend IDPA matches at USSA. One thing I'd love to do is have a "Select Fire" division, but that will be at the discretion of USSA and may require full auto qual/cert by the range before you can run a select fire rifle or subgun.

If you're interested in this concept, please PM me. State whether you'd be willing to help with setup the day before the match, or after the shooting is done if any teardown is necessary (which it usually isn't). If anyone has stage designs or ideas that would fit within the DMG rules, PM those to me as well and we'll try to make it happen. Sometimes it's tough to dream this stuff up you know! :)

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a tricked out 10 shot Winchester SX3"

Oh those are for sailors baby...yeah

( better to pick on Benellis as there are only 3-4 trick SX3s and most of those don't run real well, besides for the same length a Benelli with a 22" barrel will hold 11 instead of the measly 10 for an SX3)

Just an observation, no matter what you limit the shotgun to in capacity the guy who can load it the fastest will always win. There is no level playing field, it is always up hill for someone!

"But how many people do you see in USPSA or Outlaw Multi-Gun with several thousand dollars worth of gear and a cool shirt with logos plastered all over it, who can't shoot for crap? " HEY you been spying on me again??? As I have always said...I can't shoot but man can I type!:laugh6:

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Jerry,
[/quote]
If anyone has stage designs or ideas that would fit within the DMG rules, PM those to me as well and we'll try to make it happen. Sometimes it's tough to dream this stuff up you know! [/quote]

I would be happy so provide you a file with all of the CoF's I have used at OC for the Rifle Match there ( I didn't think about it until just now but there must a couple hundred). Any you would like to use, and/ or modify you are welcome to.
Dave

XDnOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds good to me having an opportunity to add a long gun to the defensive mix in a way that does not break the bank. Would be nice if it could be shotgun/carbine neutral as feeding the pistols is expensive enough and quite honestly don't see myself doing much three gun due to the expense. Living in OKC limits my ability to help with setup but always ready to assist in teardown

Wes

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think its great that there are more organizations promoting 3 gun competition. This reminds me of a sermon I once heard where the preacher said that churches in the US are not growing. They are only taking members away from decaying churches. I hope we can all create an environment where more non-shooters are coming into the different shooting sports. Best of luck IDPA folks.

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds good to me having an opportunity to add a long gun to the defensive mix in a way that does not break the bank. Would be nice if it could be shotgun/carbine neutral as feeding the pistols is expensive enough and quite honestly don't see myself doing much three gun due to the expense. Living in OKC limits my ability to help with setup but always ready to assist in teardown

Wes
This is why the our Practical Rifle Matches are kept to 60-70 rounds. Not many people can afford to be blowing 100+ rounds of 5.56 at a Match. I know I can't.
Dave

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a tricked out 10 shot Winchester SX3"

Oh those are for sailors baby...yeah

( better to pick on Benellis as there are only 3-4 trick SX3s and most of those don't run real well, besides for the same length a Benelli with a 22" barrel will hold 11 instead of the measly 10 for an SX3)

Just an observation, no matter what you limit the shotgun to in capacity the guy who can load it the fastest will always win. There is no level playing field, it is always up hill for someone!

"But how many people do you see in USPSA or Outlaw Multi-Gun with several thousand dollars worth of gear and a cool shirt with logos plastered all over it, who can't shoot for crap? " HEY you been spying on me again??? As I have always said...I can't shoot but man can I type!:laugh6:

Well the SX3 was only an example. lol!

I'll bet you can't type as fast as you can shoot, unless you just type with your trigger finger! :)

I would be happy so provide you a file with all of the CoF's I have used at OC for the Rifle Match there ( I didn't think about it until just now but there must a couple hundred). Any you would like to use, and/ or modify you are welcome to.
Dave

Thanks Dave! See, this is why I like the shooting community! Someone's always willing to lend a hand! :)

Wes

Thanks Wes. we'll let you know here if we get it off the ground! :)

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds good to me having an opportunity to add a long gun to the defensive mix in a way that does not break the bank. Would be nice if it could be shotgun/carbine neutral as feeding the pistols is expensive enough and quite honestly don't see myself doing much three gun due to the expense.
Wes

Good point Wes! I often forget that not everyone spends every penny they make on ammo like I do.

Sig-man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was interested in this until I read "no detachable box magazines" in the shotty rules. I guess me and my Saiga will have to stay home!! (since that is what is waiting for you behind my door. plus the 14 rounds of 00!!!!!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom