IDPA Sunday July 13 Oil Capital

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's there, he's still shooting! :)

I re-injured my leg at the USSA match yesterday (torn calf muscle), or I'd have gone and shown him the ropes. Hope he went and has fun! :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I did go, and it was a great time. Damn, sure shows you how BAD you are, though! lol

I need to learn to shoot from cover, to move while shooting, etc. Six stages, I think I had one procedural penalty and one non-combatant shot. Damn. The procedural was that I was supposed to draw and be moving backwards while firing 6 shots at a moving target - no, a swinging target! I got the target pretty well, but forgot to start moving backwards until I had started shooting. Dangit. Oh well.

Overall, it was a good time... I sure learned that I need to work on shooting on the move.
And shooting moving targets.
And shooting from behind cover.
And reloads.
And drawing from concealment.
And everything that is essentially not just standing and shooting at a piece of paper at an indoor range. lol

Wow.... I gotta lotta work to do!

Not sure I like the 1911 for this stuff... damn 8-round mags suck arse.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I did go, and it was a great time. Damn, sure shows you how BAD you are, though! lol

I need to learn to shoot from cover, to move while shooting, etc. Six stages, I think I had one procedural penalty and one non-combatant shot. Damn. The procedural was that I was supposed to draw and be moving backwards while firing 6 shots at a moving target - no, a swinging target! I got the target pretty well, but forgot to start moving backwards until I had started shooting. Dangit. Oh well.

Overall, it was a good time... I sure learned that I need to work on shooting on the move.
And reloads.
And everything that is essentially not just standing and shooting at a piece of paper at an indoor range. lol

I wouldn't call 2nd overall a bad start! :)

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

And reloads.

Sounds like you had fun and found out its way different than a typical day at the range. HOPE your hooked on it.

If you only got one procedural that's not bad for the first time. Jack loves to get the non-threats close so they get shot plenty. Heck 6 people shot them this week.

I assume you shot a .45 1911, that should have put you in CDP, not SSP. Everyone in CDP will be using 7 or 8 round mags. So your not at a disadvantage shooting within your division.

The glock 22 can shoot in SSP, depending if you what modifications you have on it. Everyone there will have 10 rounds or less in their mags. If you reload look into .40 minor, it will bring the recoil down to the 9mm level.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't call 2nd overall a bad start! :)

2nd? Huh? Do you know something I don't know? Only way I coulda been 2nd was in my CDP and Unclassified... and that'd be if there were only 2 of us in that group! lol ;)

Sounds like you had fun and found out its way different than a typical day at the range. HOPE your hooked on it.

If you only got one procedural that's not bad for the first time. Jack loves to get the non-threats close so they get shot plenty. Heck 6 people shot them this week.

I assume you shot a .45 1911, that should have put you in CDP, not SSP. Everyone in CDP will be using 7 or 8 round mags. So your not at a disadvantage shooting within your division.

The glock 22 can shoot in SSP, depending if you what modifications you have on it. Everyone there will have 10 rounds or less in their mags. If you reload look into .40 minor, it will bring the recoil down to the 9mm level.

Exactly... I was CDP/UC. I only had 2 mags for the Glock, so I ran my 1911 .45. The Glock has nothing but a slip-on Hogue grip. I don't reload (yet), but I will definitely be getting into it, as I think this is something that is going to occupy me more than I expected! ;)

Volmarr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd? Huh? Do you know something I don't know? Only way I coulda been 2nd was in my CDP and Unclassified... and that'd be if there were only 2 of us in that group!

Exactly... I was CDP/UC. I only had 2 mags for the Glock, so I ran my 1911 .45. The Glock has nothing but a slip-on Hogue grip. I don't reload (yet), but I will definitely be getting into it, as I think this is something that is going to occupy me more than I expected! ;)

I live in bartlesville and goto idpa, steel challenge, and defensive rifle if you ever want to car pool.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd? Huh? Do you know something I don't know? Only way I coulda been 2nd was in my CDP and Unclassified... and that'd be if there were only 2 of us in that group! lol ;)

Exactly... I was CDP/UC. I only had 2 mags for the Glock, so I ran my 1911 .45. The Glock has nothing but a slip-on Hogue grip. I don't reload (yet), but I will definitely be getting into it, as I think this is something that is going to occupy me more than I expected!

Haha! I'll tell you a funny (well, now anyway ...) story ... I shot a local match here, with a bunch of guys I knew ... I actually came in first in my classification (and I was so excited because I'd beat several guys ... FINALLY!!) ...

So ... it comes time to hand out the little plastic trophies ...:woot: and I hear the match director saying "Well, Patti, you did come in first in this classification but I decided to give you a Ladies Trophy, instead of the regular one ... that way more folks can get a trophy ... :shocked: :mad: Mind you, he'd never given me a Ladies Trophy before ... BECAUSE I WAS THE ONLY WOMAN WHO EVER SHOWED UP OUT THERE and there had never been a "Ladies Classification before! :mad:

So ... some guy who came in second got MY first place trophy and some guy who came in third got the second place trophy and the guy who shouldn't have gotten a trophy at all got the third place trophy ... :saywhat:

Yeah ... You could have heard a pin drop in that room because I'd shot with probably 95% of the guys in there and they KNEW how hard I'd worked. I don't know that I've ever felt so insulted at a match in my life. And I don't believe GC and I have shot a match there since. I KNOW I haven't. I took my "Ladies Trophy" got my bag when to the car and we left ... :disappoin :nolike:

We were half-way home before GC said anything to me ... and all he said then was "I'm sorry. That shouldn't have happened."

Now ... whether he believes that ... or he was just trying to make me feel better, I dunno ... cuz he's gotta live with me! :P :rotflmao:

So ... yeah ... you could be SECOND!! :woot:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So ... yeah ... you could be SECOND!! :woot:

That was my point... there're so many classifications and being a non-member and unclassified... I coulda come in second outta TWO! lol

I don't care about placement, really... or trophies. Matter of fact, I'd be more likely to patronize and participate in an organization that didn't give out prizes or trophies or whatever. I'm in it for improvement, not placement. It was kinda sobering and eye-opening to see how poorly I at least FELT I did. Like I said... I felt decent about my shooting skill at the range... but my active shooting blows goats.

So yeah... you guys sold me out and now I'm hooked. :P

Sad thing is, I shoulda done this a few months ago, when I had all the free time... now I'm not gonna have so much weekend time soon to get into matches. :(

<edit> Oh, and Volmarr, I'm up for some carpooling. I guess I'd have to take the Tahoe in that case, since there won't likely be room in the fun car for both of us and gear to boot! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom