If it ain't broke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well maybe not as this was built in a GM plant in california and Same as the Chevy Prism or Pontiac Vibe plant and they did not offer an extra capacity cooling system.
Dang GM engineers.

But at least they fixed the Turning radius issue they were plagued with for years :)
Had a Vibe for awhile. I got a steal on it for my now ex-wife to drive. Good little car but I never could get used to the sound of that engine. It sounded like a pissed off sewing machine.

The wife finally admitted that she really couldn't drive a stick shift so I sold it to my niece and she ran it low on oil and locked it up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a Vibe for awhile. I got a steal on it for my now ex-wife to drive. Good little car but I never could get used to the sound of that engine. It sounded like a pissed off sewing machine.

The wife finally admitted that she really couldn't drive a stick shift so I sold it to my niece and she ran it low on oil and locked it up.
OOOOHHHHH! That sucks.
My father-in-law drove for Jack Cooper and hauled Corollas and Vibes from the California plant.

That Vibe has the same 1.8 engine but they put the exhaust manifold in the rear and intake in the front and went with a timing chain instead of a belt.

They increased Oil capacity and transmission fluid capacity on the Vibe but the oil pans on both remain the same.
It was an attempt to extend oil change intervals with more capacity so only the dip stick changed.

We have 2 Vibes a Corolla and son had the Prizm.
Vibe manual stated change oil every 5,000 miles and the corolla manual stated every 3,000 miles and the Corolla manual also stated the engine would use 1/2 a quart of oil in 3,000 miles.

They nailed that.
Every time it was 1/2 quart down it was almost at 3,000 miles.

Those little 1.8 engines will rev.
My other cars are louder.

Vibe is sprung on the stiff side but center of gravity is much higher.
I like them.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a tune up on my old 4.3. About a week later it started missing. Found the button in the new cap was smoked. Put the old one (from behind the seat) back on and drove home with zero issues. Finally got a new ac delve cap and good to go. Stilll kept the old one just in case

Latest posts

Top Bottom