If My Dog Could Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She knows how to say, "Rub my belly!"

20191125_170925.jpg

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to start asking if the dog had been to the exterior, instead of out or outside

Depending on how long you have been using that, you might want to think about another one to use next, bet he picks up on that pretty soon, haha I think most of us do not give them credit for how much they really pay attention in the background to learn about us.

Iffen you establish you are the "Alpha Dog", they are open to learning anything you want to teach them and really do want to please you by doing what you want, just takes a little time and repetition. Yes they can be our best friend.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Among other things she perfectly understands...….
"Treat" has been removed from regular conversation in my home. Can't be said without inviting a whirlwind of activity in and all around the kitchen.
"We need to buy snacks at the store"
"We're out of snacks"
"Did she already have a snack?"

Say treat and she has to have one or you won't be left alone until it happens.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Among other things she perfectly understands...….
"Treat" has been removed from regular conversation in my home. Can't be said without inviting a whirlwind of activity in and all around the kitchen.
"We need to buy snacks at the store"
"We're out of snacks"
"Did she already have a snack?"

Say treat and she has to have one or you won't be left alone until it happens.

Our last dogs were two MinPins. (Miniature Pinschers.) We tried to always have a pet door so they could go outside while we were at work.

Anyway, the male MinPin learned that if he drug in something from outside and started tearing it apart in front of us, we would give him a treat in order to get the trash away from him. After a fairly short period of time, the female learned that if she saw the male heading to the pet door with some trash or a leaf or whatever, she'd beat him to the pet door. She knew that she could get a treat as well if she was present when the male got his.

TJ (male MinPin on the right) and Lady (female MinPin, obviously to the left.) (Queen sized bed to give a perspective of their size.)

P0000578.jpg

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 147457

DOG: WAT DOING

ME: Nothing I just stood up

DOG: WHERE GO

ME: I’m walking 3 feet away. I’m not even leaving the room.

DOG: CAN I COME

ME: Sure but I am just…

DOG: I COME TOO

DOG: WAT DOING

ME: I need to open this door.

DOG: I HALP

ME: You need to move so I can open this door.

ME: You are in the way of the door, you need to move please.

ME: ~sigh~

DOG: WHERE GOING

ME: I’m going right back to the same place I was sitting.

DOG: CAN I COME

ME: Sure
My dog talks just like that.

Yogi Boot Camp.png

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love dogs. I have been fortunate to have been buds with a lot of them. Each one had a piece of my heart. I've had pure breeds and strooches. My earliest memory was a Cocker Spaniel. My second, I was in grade school at the time, was a black and white Border Collie rescue I found in a cardboard box in the road. Prince was hit by a truck my senior year and I had to put him down.

I didn't have a dog through my college years. When I got married we got a Beagle. She named her Cuddles, I called her Puddles. We were presented with children after a few years of marriage and had Min Pins, and the smallest German Shepard I've ever seen. I bought a Weimaraner and trained him as a pointer but he soon became an inside dog because the wife, well, you know.

I took him out several times bird hunting and had no problems. I took him out the last day of the season, put his boots on, and headed toward a hill hunting birds. He went over that hill and I never saw him again. I spent hours and hours looking for that dog. I visited all the farm houses within miles of that place and never heard a word from the sympathetic farmers. I went out there for three weeks looking for him. It's like aliens beamed him up.

Marvelous Maverick Murphy was a free rescue Doberman that was bred to be a show dog but during the cropping of his ears one of them didn't grow the cartilage necessary to keep his ears erect. He couldn't be a show animal so they were going to put him down. I found out about it through a breeder friend of mine and relieved them of their burdensome animal. Murphy grew to about 80 black and tan pounds of intelligence. He was already obedience trained when I got him. When we went for walks he had so much energy I took him out to the country roads and let him run to his hearts content. I'd let him get ahead of me and slowly follow. He'd finally get tired and want back in the truck.
He would be at the side of my chair and I would smell something God awful and say, "Pew Murphy!" He'd get up and walk up the stairs stopping at the top and turn around to look at me. He then did his "Hrrrmph" and laid down. Murphy, when outside, was always on patrol. He wore a rut next to the fence the perimeter of our property. We had to move to an apartment that didn't take dogs in a different city. I left Murphy with "friends" I thought. After a month, we moved to another place I could keep dogs so I went to get Murphy. He was a changed dog. He had sores all over him and was mean. He tried to bite me. They were not interested in me getting him back and the way they ruined him I wasn't either.

It was during this time we also had another rescue dog. While I was running, I noticed a small shoe box in the ditch that was bulging and rolling over. The lid was taped shut with no air holes. A little grey Cockapoo pup was inside. I took her home and wife fed her then I took her to the pound. She was immediately loved and adored by the caring staff there. Three days later, "Snickers" came home with me. Twenty nine years later she passed during the night on our bed.

Houdy was next. He is a cute little Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Pomeranian. His real name is Houdini because he gets out of everything. I have been bitten more by this dog than all the other dogs I've dealt with my whole life. My daughter and wife drove to Tulsa to get him.
I guess on the trip home they bonded. They gave this little cute ball of fur to me to hold while they went shopping. Houdy saw them leave and from then on in his little brain I was the enemy keeping him from going with them. He has nothing to do with me unless wifey is around then I'm tolerated with him barking at me every time I walk near them. If she's gone, and a stranger is around, I'm second best and can pick him up while he barks at the stranger. I can play with him then a switch flips in his little head and ouch!

Shelby is the dog in the picture. she's another rescue dog from Phoenix Arizona. My son kind of inherited her as she came with a house he was renting. The owner didn't want her. Son brought her back here 3 years ago Christmas Day. He was moving soon and couldn't keep her so we did.

No matter what, dogs really have enriched my life and I'm tearing up as I write this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom