If My Dog Could Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dogs already know what to do. It's you that is getting trained.

Ha! I don't think so.... potty training was the first part. She's generally pretty good about that, but we put her out 20 times a day or more.

It's the not jumping on people, not gnawing on people, sit on command, heel and not drag when walking and staying put when told that we need.

The trainer came the other day... we were working with Jayde in the front yard, doing on-leash stuff. Getting up on the platform and staying, following on leash without pulling, sit on command, etc. He brought his own dog with him and he had been in the van... so he thought he would get him out and play with him a bit while we were working Jayde, to see how she did with distractions.

He let his 1 year old lab out of the van and pointed to the fire hydrant across the street and told him, "Place!". Dog ran over, jumped on TOP of the fire hydrant and stayed there the next 15 minutes watching until he was told he could come over. It was incredible. I need that. We're working on it. I want a dog that follows directions 100% of the time. Every time. Without fail.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! I don't think so.... potty training was the first part. She's generally pretty good about that, but we put her out 20 times a day or more.

It's the not jumping on people, not gnawing on people, sit on command, heel and not drag when walking and staying put when told that we need.

The trainer came the other day... we were working with Jayde in the front yard, doing on-leash stuff. Getting up on the platform and staying, following on leash without pulling, sit on command, etc. He brought his own dog with him and he had been in the van... so he thought he would get him out and play with him a bit while we were working Jayde, to see how she did with distractions.

He let his 1 year old lab out of the van and pointed to the fire hydrant across the street and told him, "Place!". Dog ran over, jumped on TOP of the fire hydrant and stayed there the next 15 minutes watching until he was told he could come over. It was incredible. I need that. We're working on it. I want a dog that follows directions 100% of the time. Every time. Without fail.

Oh, you're gonna hate me for this...

...does your wife have the same criteria for you?

(Mine seems to.)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
138736d1575943738t-funny-haha-meme-thread-vxtq1en.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rocco; a 13.5 year old, 17 lb Lhasa Apso (Tibetan: Long Haired Lion Dog). These dogs were actually bred as guard dogs in Tibet about 800 years ago. He is hard of hearing, and his sight is failing, but he is acutely aware of where his Momma is at all times. He is an excellent napper. He likes to sit at the front door and low growl at kids and people who dare to play or walk on "his" street. The three words he hears perfectly well are T.R.E.A.T. and O.U.T.S.I.D.E. and N.A.P. He thinks everyone who comes to our house has come to see him; so they can pet him and give him a T.R.E.A.T. He sleeps under our bed.

Rocco.JPG

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some friends of mine had a Lhasa named TAZ. Short for Tasmanian Devil. He was a different dog indeed. They could do anything to that dog but scratch his ears. When you did that, he would low growl like Rocco above then it would increase in loudness and include some teeth baring and then teeth gnashing but never biting. His eyes would turn red too. He would absolutely turn into a demon but never bite. You stop scratching his ears and he started licking your hand.

One of these days I'm going to ask God about dogs and women and if that one dude with the Hot vs Crazy women chart was right. That would explain the non existence of Unicorns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom