If you have a High School diploma and a training class you can be hired as a Teacher now in Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have this young man where I work (and there is some hesitation on my part in really applying the term man ) who broke down in tears very publicly when his manager counseled him on some areas which were lacking in his job performance . He clearly hadn't had to deal with being told his work was subpar or needed improvement , who is to blame entirely for such an episode probably has a multi faceted answer that started with everyone gets a trophy.

Parents obviously played a large hand as did his educators .
Ive had to manage someone like that, but she would get emotional and angry. After the second experience, I refused to have discussions with her without a third person in the room and all performance reviews were done with HR present. Her last day was on 12/31 of that year and she LOST it on our HR rep because she thought working through the last day made her eligible for a bonus that didnt pay out until March of the following year.

My approach with our two kids is to be very clear about whether they are being coached or reprimanded. 8:1 are coaching moments to actually getting in trouble and it seems to really work for keeping them as receptive as we could expect them to be. My wife, son and I are pretty logic driven so it really seems to work great for us, the jury is out on our 8yo emotionally motivated daughter though haha. She just doesnt like to hear anything other than how amazing she is haha.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We have this young man where I work (and there is some hesitation on my part in really applying the term man ) who broke down in tears very publicly when his manager counseled him on some areas which were lacking in his job performance . He clearly hadn't had to deal with being told his work was subpar or needed improvement , who is to blame entirely for such an episode probably has a multi faceted answer that started with everyone gets a trophy.

Parents obviously played a large hand as did his educators .
Interesting. My wife has a leadership role in a medical facility, in the last two years, every male employee (20yo to 30yo) she's had/has either teared up or cried during their yearly evaluation. The weren't bad evaluations either, just some areas of improvement that could/should be mentioned or addressed. None of the female employees teared up or cried and some of them are on the verge of termination it sounds like. So soft......

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. My wife has a leadership role in a medical facility, in the last two years, every male employee (20yo to 30yo) she's had/has either teared up or cried during their yearly evaluation. The weren't bad evaluations either, just some areas of improvement that could/should be mentioned or addressed. None of the female employees teared up or cried and some of them are on the verge of termination it sounds like. So soft......
Female nurses and generally emotionally tougher than male nurses in my experience. You should get suggestions for improvement, even my excellent employees would get suggestions on how to do even better. It is just the benefit of looking at something with a different set of eyes. In my experience it is the worst employees that can't take constructive criticism regardless of generation. I had a guy who thought that he should be supervisor, he was pretty upset during his annual review he was informed of his lack of performance, which he denied. I showed him where he stood in performance data with the other names scrubbed and he just sat in disbelief. I will say.that you do need to treat milinials with kid gloves and they need lots of positive reinforcement. Though people I have hired from Gen Z have either been absolutely amazing, or utterly worthless.

Last edited:

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have wondered the same myself at times , there has been a lot written about "men" these days having low testosterone . I still think it is more due to not having been forced to mature emotionally and mentally through accepting responsibility for failures and success rather than being told everything you do is OK .

This Stuart Smalley nonsense is messing everything up .

Stuart-Smalley.gif

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a lot of folks in technology fields who don't have college degrees, and some of them would make great teachers.

This isn't about forcing unqualified teachers into classrooms, it's about allowing districts latitude to fill jobs with good candidates who are only missing one arbitrary checkmark on their CV.
I never said otherwise. It's just weird that they tried to use a doctor as their example as to why this would work.

But I would say it's slightly more than one arbitrary checkmark on their CV.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for Texas or even Oklahoma schools outside my area but here there's no staying late grading papers really, 99% of everything is done on Chromebooks & automatically graded, lesson plans come from online sources and teachers here in my area receive stipends for extra duties which they never mention when discussing pay.

But maybe I'm biased, coming from the oilfield into a school has given me a negative opinion on the topic perhaps
My wife would love to have access to these online lesson plans or have a job where she doesn't need to stay late or work some weekends. The only extra pay she receives is if she stays late to tutor students. But it's not like those stipends are anything to rave about related to their pay most of the time.

And as far as students using the chromebooks goes, she has to set up the online classrooms and get things ready for the kids. I remember one year they had to do it 2-3 times because the stupid district admin changed things on them right before school started.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to come across like I'm anti teacher, I'm not. Working around the school & getting to know other district staff for years now I've just a lot of daily things that the public doesn't see.

One thing I wish we'd do is put cameras in the classroom. Not online accessable mind you but like our other cameras where it can be viewed from the office live or played back. We make police do it let's do it in the classroom and see exactly what's really happening.

If you have a bad kid or teacher it would let the parents see exactly what is happening.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see the strong positive correlation between teacher pay and student performance. I mean, after the 'big' raise they got a few years ago, we saw a commensurate bump in student scores, right?
This might actually happen if teachers had the same crop of kids for more than a single year and/or didn't have to deal with new problem kids just about the time they get their current crop trained and used to an actual learning environment.

There are so many more factors involved in improving student test scores.

Latest posts

Top Bottom