If you have a High School diploma and a training class you can be hired as a Teacher now in Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wonder how much feedback from our kids teachers are filtered due to prior experiences with ******* parents. I don't see any indicators either of our kids are "that kid", but once they get on the bus there is no way I can know for certain. The teachers always seem very sincere with the feedback they do provide, but I always wonder.
My wife has found that it's often a mixed reaction when you lay out how the kids act in the classroom. Some parents are aware and want/need help, while others are oblivious and don't care. With the parent groups on facebook things still get out and everyone usually finds out about the drama.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think just the opposite will happen. OEA is ruffled because now it's not necessary for educators to go through a university indoctrination system prior to appearing in a classroom........just my thoughts. I'm all for retired or folks with expertise in particular subjects entering the classroom at the HS and middle school levels. Elementary on the other hand, I'm not sure how anyone couple prepare or learn how to tolerate those booger eaters all day everyday lol.

I know students who've had some HS math teachers who'd been teaching for 20y who couldn't explain why 1 comes before 2 and they were "teaching" Geometry and Trig. In the end, I don't think this will be a bad thing. Many teachers in general cheapened themselves out of a job. They want CEO pay, dress in sweats and yoga pants everyday, complain about no respect and continue to push the limits of what is acceptable and not acceptable in the classroom. I know a guy who lost his job last year who was an oil field guy. He is big into travel team youth basketball and a 6A school was looking for an assit coach. He took the job while still doing some part time stuff to help pay the bills. Right before school started a physical science teaching position opened up and wasn't being filled, they asked him if interested and he took it. He's been having the time of his life, and feels like he may have missed his calling years ago.
I've been through the OU teacher ed program, TE+, which is the usual 4-year undergrad program plus a year of graduate classes. You did not need to have any credits in the subject you were going to be teaching. I have a BSED in Social Studies, Secondary Education. NO History classes, NO Geography classes, NO Math classes, just education classes. Pedagogy supposedly lets someone who has taken the classes for teaching teach any subject. You do have to take certification tests in Oklahoma. Well, did then, I don't know about now. I was certified for Mild-Moderate Disability, Mid-level to Intermediate Math, and several of the Social Studies specialties. Wanted to teach history, but after graduation, found that history teachers almost had to be coaches. Was, at the time, only one in the state who wasn't. I think sports in school is mostly a waste of time and energy. So I started their Master's program in Special Education. Got close to half-way through it before I developed obstructive sleep apnea, undiagnosed until nearly the end of the school year, which essentially killed my nascent teaching career. Took me a few years to believe it. And now I'm glad I'm not in the field.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In middle school we had a teacher who who dipped and constantly drank pepsi. He had 2 cans, one he was drinking and one for spit. We use to switch them when he went out of the room.

Looking back on things I did in school maybe I shouldn't be a teacher, for God certainly has a sense of humor when it comes to revenge.
Any of my teachers who were still alive would immediately have dropped dead upon learning that I'd become a teacher, even for a short time. And the ones who are dead, I expect they're spinning in their graves like a jet turbine!

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that comment was true, scores nationally would be going up, not staying steady or going down. (And I know you did not write that, Snattlerrake)
I don't know of any school district that has had scores increase honestly. I've known of a few teachers and administrators who got higher scores for a short time. They then got caught cheating on the scoring. OTH, teachers are expected to do a lot more than just teach their subjects. Some of that is, in fact, indoctrination, some is just making up for a lack of parenting at home.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or been a teacher or administrator.
When I was doing one of my teaching experience observations, I did it at the high school where I was a teacher's aid, running their In-School Restriction (ISR) program. The school had, at that time, about 1400 students. We got nearly 140 parents showing up for Parent-Teacher conferences. Numbers were about equally divided by students doing very well, and students doing not very well. That was less than 10% of the parents.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know of any school district that has had scores increase honestly. I've known of a few teachers and administrators who got higher scores for a short time. They then got caught cheating on the scoring. OTH, teachers are expected to do a lot more than just teach their subjects. Some of that is, in fact, indoctrination, some is just making up for a lack of parenting at home.
I agree, teaching is untenable In my opinion. The distractions for kids are significantly worse than when I was in school. I don’t know the fix.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to come across like I'm anti teacher, I'm not. Working around the school & getting to know other district staff for years now I've just a lot of daily things that the public doesn't see.

One thing I wish we'd do is put cameras in the classroom. Not online accessable mind you but like our other cameras where it can be viewed from the office live or played back. We make police do it let's do it in the classroom and see exactly what's really happening.

If you have a bad kid or teacher it would let the parents see exactly what is happening.
That is something I wanted to see when I was teaching. Though I'd make it publicly available, too.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is less about removing requirements of qualification and more about getting indoctrinated individuals out of our classrooms and brainwashing our children. But I read between the lines hehe...

Latest posts

Top Bottom