If You Were Going to Build a Precision 5.56 AR Upper...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have kept the 6.5 Grendel for long range shooting. The 6.5 Gren is more than capable at that distance and beyond. Just my 2 cents.
I’m guessing that he doesn’t want to pay the stupid crazy prices the 65 costs. 6.5 is pretty much designed to replaced the 762. So I’m guessing he’s looking at a cheaper route. Or at least whenever the prices get back to normal. 556 will definitely get out to 600 with some skill 800 no problem

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This is a pretty good place to start if a budget is in mind. I’ve got mine on a Battle Arms Development billet lower,Giselle trigger and vortex 3-9x50 illuminated scope. It’s killed deer and has rung steel out to 500
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=256
2C5B5C83-8B51-4D47-8D46-585D3DEE82BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sold my 6.5 Grendel and looking to replace it with a .223/5.56 upper. Im not that well informed on precision shooting so any advice will be appreciated.

Goal: General group shooting and ring steel plates out to +/- 600yd...possibly hunt WTD but target shooting takes preference to hunting.

What would you do? Barrel length & twist? other specific accuracy improving parts?

Assume scope, rings and trigger will be of good quality but feel free to make suggestions here also.

These guys have what you need. A barrel and bolt combo can get you in the ball park. An 18 or 20 Hbar wylde 1/8 will get you were you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom