If your reloading looks like this..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you notice the primers in backwards on the 9mm also

I get that on occasion. Maybe 1-2 per K at most. But I have only ended up at the range once with one. I catch them my QC check.

32bde429a4e580a503464b0e26b422e5.jpg

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 9mm that's pushed in too far could easily be a round that came from the mag slamming into the previous case that didn't eject, or came up high and hit the barrel hood. So I wouldn't blame that on reloads.
The 45s on the right though are from someone not belling the case mouth. Definitely a reload issue.

It could be a reloading issue if it wasn’t crimped tight enough.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
20200509_180516-jpg.162285

So left to right.
1- primer not seated
2 - bullet was way to deep. I pulled bullet and power was a solid block. It wouldn't come out of case
3- flipped primer
4-flipped primer that went off
5- No Primer
6-8 the 45s all didn't have enough case mouth flare so the cases have copper all over them or its all mashed up the bullet @dennishoddy I still haven't broke them down yet so I don't know bullet weight. The OAL is was 1.199 to 1.214

As for having issues. In my short time reloading I have had plenty of mishaps and learning mistakes. I don't get in too much of a hurry though and really keep an eye on stuff so hopefully it doesn't make it off the bench.

I have never thought to check in the dud bins before. It dawned on my after seeing @RickN having all those bullet pulls he must be grabbing the duds. The best part though was those 45s they just tossed the whole baggie in the dud bin. Must has pissed them off or scared them if not both.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So left to right.
1- primer not seated
2 - bullet was way to deep. I pulled bullet and power was a solid block. It wouldn't come out of case
3- flipped primer
5- No Primer
6-8 the 45s all didn't have enough case mouth flare so the cases have copper all over them or its all mashed up the bullet @dennishoddy I still haven't broke them down yet so I don't know bullet weight. The OAL is was 1.199 to 1.214

As for having issues. In my short time reloading I have had plenty of mishaps and learning mistakes. I don't get in too much of a hurry though and really keep an eye on stuff so hopefully it doesn't make it off the bench.

I have never thought to check in the dud bins before. It dawned on my after seeing @RickN having all those bullet pulls he must be grabbing the duds. The best part though was those 45s they just tossed the whole baggie in the dud bin. Must has pissed them off or scared them if not both.

I can speak from experience that the .45's have too much OAL. It's actually pretty critical to get that distance from the case mouth to the ogive correct or the gun won't function.
In this pic, the rounds on the bench in the background are the results operator or loader malfunctions. Most are primers not inserted for many reasons, but others are from powder dispenser issues. That's about 3 years worth of malfunctions so it's not many. Don't shoot as many competitions as I used to but when I was, every round was inspected and dropped into a barrel for the plunk test before going into the match ammo container.
\
3e97f9cd735c45057941dfcb692de670.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So left to right.
1- primer not seated
3- flipped primer
5- No Primer

None from the dud bin, just dropped rounds all over the place. Especially after a big match. I have picked up whole boxes of 22lr that people have spilled on the ground and not picked up. I have a simple rule, if I can not tell it is factory ammo I disassemble it. If factory and in a round I use, I keep it if the weather has been warm and dry. If it rained or something I disassemble those too.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It could be a reloading issue if it wasn’t crimped tight enough.
Crimp isn't what holds the bullet in place. Tension from the case walls is what does that. If you are crimping the case into the bullet enough to deform it you are ruining accuracy and it still won't stay put. Shoot a revolver much and you'll see that there is no amount of crimp that will hold a 230 grain .45 bullet in place unless it has a cannelure to crimp into and that doesn't work with autos that headspace on the mouth. Those that crimp that hard are probably headspacing off the extractor and don't even know it.

In 9mm I used to play "name that case" just by the feel on the handle when seating a bullet. CCI Blazer is really thin, I used to could tell those every time. Couple of others that escape me are just as bad and some brass is too actually thick for plated bullets. TZZ in .45 comes to mind, it's thick stuff as are some .mil stamps. I've had plated bullets peel when there was plenty of bell on them. Increasing it would actually make the seating die squeeze back down on the bullet as you were sizing them and if you pulled it out and looked before crimping you could still see peeling with the bell still there. Maybe they're better now but I bought a large amount of 9mm, .40 and .45 X-Tremes in a group buy once. I swore off of them and all other plated because they are so finicky to load and it's a crapshoot as to whether your gun will "like" them and shoot groups or just shoot shotgun patterns. I'd rather shoot lead and clean up the mess afterward. These days it's coated hardcast or jacketed for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom